Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh vb install. How do we import posts/threads/users from the 3.7 one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh vb install. How do we import posts/threads/users from the 3.7 one?

We pretty much decided to start a fresh install rather than upgrade the previous 3.7 version. Question is, how do we import all the posts/threads/userbase etc from the old one into this one. In the admin panel there is a backup feature but I can't find a restore one.

Is it ok to simply use the old db on this new one?

FYI: The only supported and recommended way to upgrade is as per the documentation.

One *unsupported* way you can try is to install a new copy of vB to a new database, then use Impex to import the old data to the new one. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_cleanup

Note: This will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The problem with our board is that we keep getting the "Database error" page generated by vbulletin. My guess is that we have code somewhere in one of the files that causes a database leak (a mod that was installed and later removed). Therefore we thought we'd start fresh (the main goal was to remove any codes added by ourselves to the php files)....so, is it a good idea to simply override all the old 3.7 files w/ the new 3.8 ones?

By the way, Steve, my account on vb.org shows me as licensed but this one here doesn't. How do I transfer that account to here?

Comment

You are showing up as licensed here.

As for the db error, we need to see the real error message. Right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. Then copy-n-paste the error message here.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Database error db has encountered a problem. Please try the following:
          • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
          • Open the www.mywebpage.com home page, then try to open another page.
          • Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.mywebpage.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
          We apologise for any inconvenience.

That is the error I get. Does the source contain more information? We get that error every other day so I'll have to wait until the next one pops up lol

Comment

Looks like it could be a config file problem.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

We need to see the real error message. Right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. Then copy-n-paste the error message here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Alright. That error comes up once every two days so I'll post it as soon as I come across it again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X