Steps for upgrading from v3.7.4 PL1 to v3.8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps for upgrading from v3.7.4 PL1 to v3.8.0

This will be my first upgrade, so sorry for noob questions.

I have vBulletin v3.7.4 PL1 with 30 MODs and some template edits (new pop-up link on menu etc...)

For upgrade, what I have to do?
    1. Before upgrade, do I have to disable all MODs, or not?
    2. When upgrade finished, if I understand correctly, I have to revert templates files? What does that mean?
    3. If templates then go to clean unmodified codes, should I then before reverting templates, save all files and after reverting put code changes again (codes from MODs). Is that correct?
    4. When upload new files (for upgrading vBulletin), should I upload and new unmodified confing.php? If yes, what about old config.php with all data in there (database name, database password etc...)

Originally posted by Sunka View Post
    This will be my first upgrade, so sorry for noob questions.

I have vBulletin v3.7.4 PL1 with 30 MODs and some template edits (new pop-up link on menu etc...)

For upgrade, what I have to do?
    1. Before upgrade, do I have to disable all MODs, or not?
    2. When upgrade finished, if I understand correctly, I have to revert templates files? What does that mean?
    3. If templates then go to clean unmodified codes, should I then before reverting templates, save all files and after reverting put code changes again (codes from MODs). Is that correct?
    4. When upload new files (for upgrading vBulletin), should I upload and new unmodified confing.php? If yes, what about old config.php with all data in there (database name, database password etc...)
    1. Not
    2. Click on revert and all your edits will disappear
    3. Don't save them.Have to edit them.Some of them might not work any more or will cause trouble to vB.
    4. Leave the old one there,don't edit-upload config.php.new.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

After revert templates, I will have new clean template files, but before reverting old template files with new template files I have to save (copy/paste) files in let say notepad++ and then after revert templates, I put old template code edits (from MODs instructions) in new template files.
      Is that correct?

Is there a chance to have after reverting templates in memory (database) new and old template files to see code changes (manual editings), or I have to save new template (copy/paste) in notepad++ and then see code changes on my home computer with let say, winmerge.

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
        1. Not
        2. Click on revert and all your edits will disappear
        3. Don't save them.Have to edit them.Some of them might not work any more or will cause trouble to vB.
        You say not to upload the config.php.new, I upgraded to 3.7.5 yesterday and in doing that the instructions said that you needed to use the config.php.new after editing it of course, so am I right in assuming the 3.8 version will require the new config.php.new if you haven't upgraded to 3.7.5? Also, if one upgrades from 3.7.5 to 3.8 you wont need to use the config.php.new

Is my question clear?

Comment

Originally posted by sidoram View Post
          You say not to upload the config.php.new, I upgraded to 3.7.5 yesterday and in doing that the instructions said that you needed to use the config.php.new after editing it of course, so am I right in assuming the 3.8 version will require the new config.php.new if you haven't upgraded to 3.7.5? Also, if one upgrades from 3.7.5 to 3.8 you wont need to use the config.php.new

Is my question clear?
          From which version are you upgrading?
          It could be 2.x.
          The thread title says to upgrade from 3.7.4, and I assumed that you have a similar version.
          Editing would not hurt,so just go ahead and edit and upload the config.php file.

I certainly did not edit it with my upgrade because I have read on this forum that it is not necessary.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Upload files without images folder and then run upgrade file.
            ModdingFiles | Forever Changing the Gaming Community
            aboutforums.net | everything you need to know about forums

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
              Although I always compare config.php.new to my current config file to be sure nothing has been changed. Occasionally lines are added or dropped.

My tip for templates.
              I comment at the top of each edited template what the mod is I need to include.
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Where are the steps for upgrading v3.7.4 PL1 to v3.8.0?
                I don't see nothing here...

Comment

Same as any other upgrade. Just follow the upgrade documentation here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade/
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X