Punctuation converting to smilies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctuation converting to smilies

Is there a way to stop punctuation converting to smilies for instance ; and ) typed together become

George Bernard Shaw

Turn off Allow Smilies under posting options for the channel in Channel Manager.
    VB 5.6.8
    PHP 7.4
    MySQL 5.7.24

Comment

You can surround the text with [noparse] tags or use a different code for smilies. BBCodes like smilies are parsed at runtime/display.

However, I think you should encourage people to use Emoji over smilies. They get a lot more variety ( πŸ˜€ 😁 πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜… 😊 ) and support is built into their devices. They are even searchable while typing in the editor. Like πŸš€ and β˜•. Just type a colon and then describe the emoji. Their tags are also shown in the Emoji popup menu in the editor.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        You can surround the text with noparse tags or use a different code for smilies. BBCodes like smilies are parsed at runtime/display.

However, I think you should encourage people to use Emoji over smilies. They get a lot more variety ( πŸ˜€ 😁 πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜… 😊 ) and support is built into their devices. They are even searchable while typing in the editor. Like πŸš€ and β˜•. Just type a colon and then describe the emoji. Their tags are also shown in the Emoji popup menu in the editor.
        Thanks Wayne, I think the no parse tag was what I was thinking of.

and yes, device smilies are much more fun and my personal choice over the forum ones 😸

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

We turned off smilies after a number of questions and complaints regarding "garbled" or "unreadable" text. This wasn't so much of a problem in VB4 where one could disable smilies on a post-by-post basis, but that option does not exist in VB5.

Compounding the problem is a bug in the way smilies are automatically inserted. For example:

site:organforum.com displays as siterganforum.com with the absence of the noparse tags. A smilie should not appear unless the pattern is bracketed by white space. site :o rganforum.com should display as site rganforum.com but site:organforum.com should not.

Although the noparse tag is a workaround, expecting our particular user base to be able to associate random, unintentional smilies with the need for a BBCODE tag, when most of them have no idea what BBCODE even is was unrealistic. Sometimes, it's better to disable a feature than try to support it

For all the reasons already stated, emojis are a better solution. Emojis are built in to mobile device keyboards, and Windows users, at least, can bring up the searchable emoji palette with Win Key + period.
          VB 5.6.8
          PHP 7.4
          MySQL 5.7.24

Comment

Originally posted by OrganForum View Post
            A smilie should not appear unless the pattern is bracketed by white space.
            This is a no win scenario because just as many customers would complain that their smilies aren't working anymore if this requirement was put into place. The patterns should have been made more unique back in 2000 with vBulletin 2 but it just wasn't thought of at the time. Backwards compatibility is the real culprit here.

Recently, we changed the [code], [php], and [html] tags so that Smilies were not parsed within them. Or rather, we fixed a bug in this parsing. Even that has generated customer complaints because they were using the tags "off-specification." I wish I had a solution that would satisfy all customers.

However, my thinking still leads to Emoji being the solution and customers should phase out smilies but I can't force that on anyone. Too many people like their early turn of the century animated gifs and signs. Though these could still exist as "Stickers" to differentiate the two. Any image can be a sticker.

For all the reasons already stated, emojis are a better solution. Emojis are built in to mobile device keyboards, and Windows users, at least, can bring up the searchable emoji palette with Win Key + period.
            A similar onscreen keyboard can be initiated on MacOS as well. It is fn+e on the Mac keyboard by default. It is literally the only thing I use the fn key for. Though this can probably be remapped.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• OrganForum
              OrganForum commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I should add that we had not have a single complaint regarding the lack of smilies on our site since turning them off a couple of years ago.

• Wayne Luke
              Wayne Luke commented
              Editing a comment
              A recent update makes it so that the Smilie panel doesn't appear if there are no smilies uploaded to the system. I suggested this as a way to help people transition to Emoji. If the button is there someone will inevitably click it. This was in 5.6.6, I think.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            A recent update makes it so that the Smilie panel doesn't appear if there are no smilies uploaded to the system. I suggested this as a way to help people transition to Emoji. If the button is there someone will inevitably click it. This was in 5.6.6, I think.
            Thanks for the useful information. In lieu of this being available, I had hidden the button using CSS.

To hide the button as you suggested I found that I needed to go into AdminCP/Smilies and delete the smilies in each of my categories using the Smilie Manager. Emptying the core/images/smilie folder of files without doing this resulted in the smilies being displayed as broken links and not hiding the button. It appears to be unnecessary to actually delete image files themselves.
            VB 5.6.8
            PHP 7.4
            MySQL 5.7.24

Comment

That would be correct.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Would it be possible for the smiley button (circled) to actually open the emoji box, (arrowed) instead of going to the smilie panel?

That would allow the smilies to be ditched but mean emojis are quickly available without having to open the advanced editor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8B0784FA-54B0-490A-8DB2-81C323C40EB7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	569.8 KB ID:	4468662

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If you'd like to see that functionality changed, you will need to raise an Improvement Request in the Tracker, linked in the navigation bar above.
                  Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                  -
                  *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                  - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

We use both, so getting rid of one would be detrimental. It may also break the old threads if they disappeared. Just add another button above?

Comment

The thing I miss most is being able to limit the number of smilies in a post as you could in previous versions.

some people just pepper posts with dozens of them and it doesn’t make me smile πŸ™„

I’d be interested to know the effect on past posts if smilies were removed.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Mrs.T
                        Mrs.T commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks. Yes good point on the emojis too.

• Wayne Luke
                        Wayne Luke commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Earlier OS like 8.1 don’t show emojis properly either.
                        In order for vBulletin to display Emoji, it needs a database with the UTF8MB4 character set. This is because the Emoji aren't graphics like Smilies. They are text codes in the UTF-8 specification. The operating system on the device will convert the text codes that it recognizes to images stored in the OS. Since many new Emoji are added every year, an older OS like iOS 8.1 will not have graphics for all of them. iOS 8.X supported about 1300 emoji. iOS 15.4 supports over 4,000 Emoji.

• Carrfixr
                        Carrfixr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Wayne, understood.
                        That is just one reason not to go to an all emoji only platform. Many, many forum members would be left with nothing. We can't expect everyone to just throw their good operating computers away. I already lost members who are using an outdated ipad. With our newer VB software older OS are not compatible. Folks are so cheap they refuse to upgrade if it is working on say a comparable VB4 forum. Lost quite a few this way to competitive forums that run older software
                        Last edited by Carrfixr; Tue 29 Mar '22, 10:45am.

Originally posted by Mrs.T View Post
                      Would it be possible for the smiley button (circled) to actually open the emoji box, (arrowed) instead of going to the smilie panel?

That would allow the smilies to be ditched but mean emojis are quickly available without having to open the advanced editor.

Click image for larger version Name:	8B0784FA-54B0-490A-8DB2-81C323C40EB7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	569.8 KB ID:	4468662
                      I have created a template hook to do this. I will post it soon.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report INITIALS AVATAR (Better) Name Card Quote Selected Text Likes Summary Disable AJAX Pagination Stop Links in Posts...& MORE!

Comment

Originally posted by glennrocksvb View Post

I have created a template hook to do this. I will post it soon.
                        That's really kind Glenn but we are on Cloud so wouldn't be able to use it, hopefully it will help others though.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.T View Post

That's really kind Glenn but we are on Cloud so wouldn't be able to use it, hopefully it will help others though.
                          It's a template hook which vBCloud supports.

Btw, I found a bug in my code so am still working on it.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report INITIALS AVATAR (Better) Name Card Quote Selected Text Likes Summary Disable AJAX Pagination Stop Links in Posts...& MORE!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X