Intermittent Post Notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Post Notifications

I've had multiple reports of some users who are not receiving an immediate notification when a reply to their post is made, but overnight the system will send the notification. This is not happening with all users, and I can't seem to find any common thread as to why this would be an issue with a registered user who is set up to receive notifications. At 2:22 AM or 3:22 AM, depending on time zone, the notification will be sent.

Is there a maintenance procedure that can be run to fix this so that they receive their notification when a reply is made to their post.

Note, I'm not talking about general subscription notifications.

Email on your site is not queued so vBulletin will pass them to the email server as soon as the notification is created. However, email isn't an instant communication process and the third-party email server may queue those to be sent beyond our control. The email company is handling the emails from all vBulletin Cloud sites plus those from other companies.

The only way around this is if you had your own SMTP server to process emails.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Why would this only impact specific users and not everyone? If the same user experiences this every time they make a post, but others don't?

Comment

Users shouldn't get notifications for their own posts. If they are viewing the topic when the post is made, they won't receive a notification. A notification will be sent on the first reply when they aren't viewing the site. However, there is no precise control over when they receive the email in their inbox.

I wish I had a better answer but vBulletin doesn't have direct control over outgoing email. It sends it to a server and that server controls it. In addition email may be routed through different servers to reach the end user's inbox.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment