Disabling youtube video resizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling youtube video resizing

Is there a way to disable the way vB5 resizes embedded youtube videos? It shrinks things down just enough that the titles don't display until you actually click on the video. Considering the amount of extra space already present in any forum theme, the few pixels it saves aren't worth the tradeoff.

This is what my forum looks like when someone embeds a video:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 6.58.19 AM.png
Views:	69
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	4456760

And this is what it looks like once you click play:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 7.00.19 AM.png
Views:	60
Size:	727.6 KB
ID:	4456761

The YT video scales back out to the normal embed size and the title/controls show back up. How can I make this the default behavior? The auto-scaling is, IMO, needlessly fixing a problem that didn't exist. Members would definitely rather be able to see the title of the video they are clicking instead of saving a handful of pixels.

http://www.metalmusicians.org

What you are seeing is not actually due to resizing of any video. Before you click play, the system is displaying a thumbnail image provided by YouTube. The actual video is not loaded until the user clicks on the play icon overlaid on this image.

There is no option to load the video before the user clicks on the play icon.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Can this be changed in a future version to work the way it has in the past? Every other forum software loads the video, including all the previous vBulletiin versions I've used over the last ~20 years with this product with various plugins. This doesn't seem like a big ask.

The way vb5 implements it is really strange.

Comment

I found an old post about it (sort of):

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...91#post4278991

Zachery says it's for "performance".

It's 2021. Every modern computer is perfectly capable of rendering a few youtube videos. This was a bad design choice then and it's a bad design choice now. I could understand it if it was for autoplay on some obscure media site, but it's Youtube. Obscuring all of the relevant information about the content until a user actually clicks on it is a head-scratchingly terrible decision. I understand that it's not vB that's obscuring it, but it IS vB's design that's handling it that way.

I can't fathom how something like this got through development.

Comment

You can submit an improvement request in the tracker requesting that the design be changed, however being realistic I would not expect that it will be given much priority any time soon.
          We also have customers who want the design how it currently is - that is part of the reason it's like that.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

It is a mobile issue and related to performance on mobile devices. It isn't even related to playing videos but the load of the page to get everything on the screen. When the actual video is embedded, customers have experienced added seconds to page load when they have multiple videos on the page.

vBulletin 5 was designed as a Mobile App first so it works on all devices, not just computers and laptops. Many sites are primarily accessed from phones. No other version of vBulletin was designed for use on Mobile Devices. Google will rank your site based on how it works on mobile phones today, not how it works on a desktop computer.

However, as Mark said, you can submit a issue in the bug tracker and it will be taken under advisement.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

edited
              Last edited by lange; Sun 9 May '21, 2:31pm.

Comment

edited
                Last edited by lange; Sun 9 May '21, 2:30pm.

Comment