Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I've provided all the information that I have. We have no record of a DNS outage. We don't actually run a DNS server for vBulletin cloud. If there was an issue with upstream provider, we have to rely on them providing that information to our data center. That doesn't always happen. There is standard maintenance but if it is thought to apply to customer operations, they will get a email.

Leave a comment:

• braintrainnerd
    replied
    I recall also getting an DNS error message at around the same day. My registrar is GoDaddy. It is the first time I've seen an DNS error in the 3 years I've been with vBulletin, which has provided a very reliable service.
    Last edited by braintrainnerd; Sun 21 Mar '21, 4:13pm. Reason: Was typing 'NDIS' when I meant 'DNS'

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    replied
    3 days later, no reply here and no reply from my support ticket.

So this is how vBulletin handles outages now? Starting to think I made the wrong decision to go with you guys again.

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    replied
    In the future, if my DNS stops working (like it did today) - who should I be contacting?

Once again you've always taken care of me Wayne and I don't mean any of the above to sound standoffish. It's hard to tell tone over the internet and all and I've always appreciated the help you've given me in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    replied
    I know you aren't new at this Wayne because I've been using vBulletin for 20 years and you've helped me in the past a ton. So please don't take this the wrong way. We're all on the same team.

I sent vB support the same information that's in my first post here. That's a DNS error, plain and simple, from Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8). That's not the result of the wrong URL or not using a WWW, that's the root domain straight up not responding. That was at 9:39 this morning.

From 9:30 to 1PM today the site was unreachable by me and by dozens of other people on different ISPs. I noted this as well to make sure that it wasn't just my connection. My site was down for people on Verizon, on AT&T, on Comcast/XFinity and from my corporate network.

This is what it looks like tonight now that DNS is working correctly again:

nslookup
    > metalmusicians.org
    Server: 192.168.86.1
    Address: 192.168.86.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: metalmusicians.org
    Address: 216.21.224.199

That has nothing to do with wether or not I'm using a WWW. However at 7:42 this evening I got a reply from Trevor at vB support telling me to add the WWW again.

On top of that, I reached out here and despite me (and @Foos) both registering our domains through the vbulletin.com portal, you're telling me you don't have any insight as to how my domain was registered or how customers that use the cloud signup service should be able to manage their domains.

This is not a good look man. Again I mean no disrespect here - you've been awesome to me in the past and I'm not trying to be a jerk. But I'm a 25+ year career network engineer with a masters degree. I don't know if you are a software engineer/coder and don't really know how the back end works, but these responses are way off base.

Is there someone available from the cloud ops team that can take a look at this thread? My site is back up now but I don't know why it was down, and even more concerning is that I have no idea how to manage my DNS since I bought it 100% through vBulletin.com and never once got a single notice from any registrar that would indicate that I actually own the domain.
    Last edited by Chris-777; Wed 17 Mar '21, 4:11pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can't manage or change the DNS of a URL registered through us. That is not a feature of the service.

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    replied
    Wayne Luke - My domain is working correctly now, but it was never a problem with the URL. I had 20+ different people all over the country using different ISPs/devices tell me the same thing, that the site was down and the issue was DNS.

Please see my above question and comments about the registrant, this is really disconcerting.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    What happens if you click on the link that I provided above?

• Foos
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris-777 View Post
    This is how my domain was registered. I never once went to register.com, it was all through vbulletin.com
    Same with ours. Our domain appears to be back up so yours might be as well, but I would expect the vBulletin team to be the one to give us insight on this.

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Register.com would be the DNS provider as that is who you have registered the domain with. As far as I am aware, we don't work with them. The cloud management system says this domain isn't registered through us so I cannot verify anything.

However the site is working for me. This is the URL you must use: https://www.metalmusicians.org/
    It appears to be resolving now. I know the URL - it was definitely out for several hours.

I have multiple users from all over the country using different ISPs confirming the same thing, and it was also down my home network (Verizon FIOS), my cell phone (Verizon), my wife's cell phone (AT&T) and my corporate work network over a VPN.

In the future, I really need to know how to manage a domain that I bought through vbulletin.com along with the cloud package. I have never once signed up for or used register.com, yet you're telling me they handle my DNS. How does this process usually work?

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    replied
    This is how my domain was registered. I never once went to register.com, it was all through vbulletin.com
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    commented on 's reply
    I registered the domain as part of the cloud package when I bought the domain. I haven't changed or touched a thing.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Register.com would be the DNS provider as that is who you have registered the domain with. As far as I am aware, we don't work with them. The cloud management system says this domain isn't registered through us so I cannot verify anything.

However the site is working for me. This is the URL you must use: https://www.metalmusicians.org/

Leave a comment:

• Chris-777
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    What is your CNAME? We require a proper subdomain.

Since we don't control DNS, the subdomain is required. If you want to redirect the TLD to this subdomain, you need to do so through your DNS provider. They often provide what is called a TEXT Redirect to handle this.
    I bought the domain through vbulletin.com, it was part of the cloud package. I assume that means you guys are my DNS provider, or at least manage the domain.

The site is only about a month old and it's been working fine until this morning.

Domain Name: METALMUSICIANS.ORG
    Registry Domain ID: D402200000016096328-LROR
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.register.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.register.com
    Updated Date: 2021-02-25T00:55:30Z
    Creation Date: 2021-02-25T00:55:13Z
    Registry Expiry Date: 2022-02-25T00:55:13Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
    Registrar: Register.com, Inc.
    Registrar IANA ID: 9
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
    Reseller:
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: serverTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#serverTransferProhibited
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant State/Province: FL
    Registrant Country: US
    Name Server: DNS1.REGISTER.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.REGISTER.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    What is your CNAME? We require a proper subdomain.

Since we don't control DNS, the subdomain is required. If you want to redirect the TLD to this subdomain, you need to do so through your DNS provider. They often provide what is called a TEXT Redirect to handle this.

Leave a comment: