Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

make a category and drag existing subforums into it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Instead of dragging, it is probably easier to change the Parent of a forum in the AdminCP under Channel Management -> Channel Manager.

When you move content, including channels, the software will create 301 redirects to the new location. This prevents 404 errors.

Leave a comment:

• braintrainnerd
    replied
    Which leads me to another related question: When dragging child subforums into other subforums, does the forum software automatically redirect google searches to the new URLs of the existing threads?

EDIT: Took the plunged and moved a subforum to do a test. It appears people clicking on a google search result will end up at the correct thread, even if the subforum the thread is in has been moved to another subforum. I was afraid that visitors would see a '404 page not found' or get some type of broken link.
    Last edited by braintrainnerd; Fri 12 Mar '21, 2:06am.

Leave a comment:

• braintrainnerd
    replied
    Actually, how can I create a new subforum on the homepage, and drag existing child subforums from other existing subforums into the newly created subforum? I tried this and none of the child subforums stick to the newly created subforum.

But I can drag existing child subforums from existing subforums between the existing subforums with no problems. So why can't I drag an existing child subforum in an existing subforum into a newly created subforum?

EDIT: I figured it out. Just create a new dummy child subforum in the newly created subforum. And then after that, existing child subforums from existing subforums can be dragged into the newly created subforum. It appears that the newly created subforum must contain at least one child subforum, in order to interchange child subforums from other subforums.
    Last edited by braintrainnerd; Fri 12 Mar '21, 1:43am.

Leave a comment:

• make a category and drag existing subforums into it?

Hi all.

I created a category, but dragging existing subforums into it doesn't work, as the child subforums won't stay within the parent category.

It looks like the only option is to create new subforums from scratch within the new category, but this is not what I want.

How can I drag existing subforums into a new category? Is it possible? I also tried to drag an existing subforum into an existing subforum, but this didn't work either, as the child subforum won't stay within the parent subforum.

But what I ultimately want to achieve is to create a new subforum on the home page and drag all existing subforums on the home page into the new subforum, because my homepage is cluttered with subforums which contain many child subforums. I would like to create a single subforum and drag everything into it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by braintrainnerd; Fri 12 Mar '21, 12:09am.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X