Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to make Login/Register More Obvious

Hey Everyone,

Based on feedback from users, I want to make the login box easier to notice. As you can see here, the login/register stripe at the top of the page is easy to miss. I've not found anywhere in the Cloud version of VB to customize it.

I've already added a "Register" link in my navigation menu, because I was able to save the URL (right-click, etc)
    But I cannot figure out what the actual URL would be to the login page, since the default login is just embedded at the top of the page.

Two questions:
    #1 - Is there a full URL for a stand-alone login page?
    #2 - How/where do i customize the background color/text of the "Login or Signup" bar with notifications, etc - that is at the very top of the page? As you can see on our page, it easily gets lost in the background.

Site: community.tlooutdoors.com

1. Not really.

2. You can customize this with style variables and CSS. It uses the Style Variables in the "Site Builder Navigation" Group. You can see the Style Variable under Styles -> Style Manager. Select Style Variable Editor from the Choose Option... drop down. Though since it doesn't currently use the background of your page, I think it sticks out a lot. You can see a customized version on https://forums.rabidbadger.io/

You can also use the Display Template module to put the login form on any page. Simply set it to display the login_main template after adding it to the page.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks Wayne Luke - I agree, the issue isn't that the login bar blends in too much with page, the problem is that it's the exact same color as the Chrome and/or Safari background, so it just blends in w/ the bookmark bar. See below - so I thought so myself, but have had users starting at the page looking for the login, and not seeing it nestled up on that top right corner. I guess we get too used to knowing it's there, so it's been great launching it to a bunch of non-vbulletin people who have given overwhelming feedback that they didn't see it, lol!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 2.45.55 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	230.4 KB ID:	4454075

Comment

Using the display template module as suggested by Wayne, you can have a login box like this:
        https://www.talknewsuk.com/
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Awesome, thanks Mark.B - I added that to my left sidebar, and set it to ONLY show to Guests.
          I did also create a new page here, but although the registration works, it just keeps reloading the registration form, so unsure how to tell it to load the home page after processing the login:
          https://community.tlooutdoors.com/TLOCommunityLogin

Comment

Originally posted by fmckinnon View Post
            Awesome, thanks Mark.B - I added that to my left sidebar, and set it to ONLY show to Guests.
            I did also create a new page here, but although the registration works, it just keeps reloading the registration form, so unsure how to tell it to load the home page after processing the login:
            https://community.tlooutdoors.com/TLOCommunityLogin
            You can't but you can have two modules (or more)...

one for the login form that shows to guests only
            one for some sort of html message saying 'please click here to go to our homepage' that only shows when logged in.

Once you get to grips with that you can make it a bit prettier or more informative.

MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

The login form is designed to reload the same page so if someone is creating a post and needs to login, the process continues properly. The login isn't really designed to show on a separate page except for the No Permission error. Even then, the No Permission error will reload the same URL so the user doesn't lose their place. This is specifically why we provide a login form on every single page instead of a separate page.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X