Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Template name has changed

Hi,

I've been configuring our new cloud forum (pajeroforum.com.au). I started out by creating a new child style of the default vb5 style and then created a new template (ID:50) to allow me to change the formatting of one of my forum pages.

After a little while later when I was looking at the templates for something else I noticed that the name of the standard template for the second layer of forums (ID:2) had changed to the same name as the new template (ID:50) I had created.

Not only that, the changed template name seems to have propagated into the default vb5 style. That seems to go against the inheritance rules that I thought went from parent to child rather than the other way around.

Can you please help me understand how this might have happened and how it can be reversed?

David

There are two types of templates... Style Templates which inherit from their parents. Page Templates which define the layout and modules used on one or more pages. When you assign a page template to a channel, its children will inherit that page template. Since Forum is the top level channel, its children should all use that template.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks Wayne. I didn't know there was a difference. Another thing learned.

Can you shed some light on why my ID:2 (channel??) page template had its name changed? Is there any way to change it back to the default name?

Can you also confirm my understanding from your response that page templates do not comply with the inheritance rules, but style templates do? So if I change a page template it changes across all styles?

David

Comment

Page Templates aren't related to styles at all. They aren't part of the style system. They are associated with layout and part of Site Builder.

A page template is basically an ID, name, and a reference to a Layout. Modules on the page will reference its page ID. They make up the customizable structure of every page. Each and every vBulletin 5 forum can change the layout of almost every page in the system. Want your forums in two columns? You can do that with Site Builder. Want three columns on your About Us page? Okay. You can experiment with this by clicking Quick Setup and switching between the three different Homepage Layouts provided in the package.

Templates in Styles are simply building blocks that build the HTML and CSS for each module on a page. Most people will never need to edit a single template under Style Manager in the system. You can provide all the visual customization you want with Style Variables and custom CSS.

All FORUM channels use the same template unless you specifically edit a channel and save a new template before making any changes. You do this in Site Builder by editing the channel page and saving it. On the save dialog, it will ask if you want to overwrite the template. Say "No" and give it a new descriptive name. If you add or change modules before you change the Page Template, it will apply to all forum channels.

You can set pages to previously created Page Templates by clicking "Edit Page" and selecting the template from the Select Template tab in the Edit tool. The default template for forum channels is named "Default Channel Page Template"
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment