Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Related Topics Module -- Results not related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Related Topics Module -- Results not related?

Hello,

It seems that the search results for the Related Topics are not related to the topic at all. See the link below for example:

https://forum.legaljunkies.com/forum...going-to-court

Most of the topics show no related topics results. (We have about 90K topics on the forum many of them with similar questions/ topics.)

Results are only showing posts few days old. Is the entire database supposed to be included?

Why is this seemingly not working? Any thoughts or solutions?

www.legaljunkies.com

That is a pretty bad example to retrieve related topics from. There is barely any text in the opening post of the topic.

However, since your site is new, the machine learning will apply the rules from other sites that it knows about. These rules may build seemingly unrelated topics. Over time the machine learning component should build new rules for your site and apply them for better results. I will forward this to the Cloud Team. They may be able to change things up a little based on the content of your site.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I see...

So the opening post's content is the primary area to retrieve the data from... I wasnt aware of that.

If the Cloud team could help to adjust settings a bit to match our sites content it would be much appropriated.

Thank you Wayne for your help !!

www.legaljunkies.com

Comment

It is keyword based. The title and opening post are the only items guaranteed to be on a topic.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Hello,

I am puzzled why the vast majority of the results being shown in the related topics area are topics which were created only a few days ago and not older than two weeks.

???
          Attached Files
          www.legaljunkies.com

Comment

Newer topics will have higher relevancy. Older topics usually become outdated quickly and aren't as important.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              Newer topics will have higher relevancy. Older topics usually become outdated quickly and aren't as important.
              Thank you Wayne for the reply but that does not apply in our case unfortunately and still it seems odd given what it pulls up. But perhaps give it time, we will see.
              www.legaljunkies.com

Comment

Ours pulls topics from all different years. I'm not sure how it worked when first implemented

Comment

Originally posted by Carrfixr View Post
                  Ours pulls topics from all different years. I'm not sure how it worked when first implemented
                  That is interesting. It seems like we have no related topics from a pre-cloud time.
                  www.legaljunkies.com

Comment

• Carrfixr
                    Carrfixr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That may be the reason then

• Wayne Luke
                    Wayne Luke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No one had "related topics" from before their time on the Cloud. Even if you used vBulletin 4. The system is completely different than what was used before and isn't actually part of vBulletin. It isn't developed or managed by the vBulletin team. It is a machine learning project and that takes time to learn your content. When new, it uses a default configuration based on a general chat forum because that is all that it can use. Related topics for General Discussion is going to be very rough. Over time, it modifies the rules for each site to take advantage of the keywords of that site. I don't know how fast the algorithms learn. I don't even know who to ask about it.

No one had "related topics" from before their time on the Cloud. Even if you used vBulletin 4. The system is completely different than what was used before and isn't actually part of vBulletin. It isn't developed or managed by the vBulletin team. It is a machine learning project and that takes time to learn your content. When new, it uses a default configuration based on a general chat forum because that is all that it can use. Related topics for General Discussion is going to be very rough. Over time, it modifies the rules for each site to take advantage of the keywords of that site. I don't know how fast the algorithms learn. I don't even know who to ask about it.
                  OK, that completely explains why pre-cloud topics are not included

It will be very interesting to see how it will develop over the time.

www.legaljunkies.com

Comment