Video File Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video File Size

I'm trying to upload a video off my phone to my forum. And it says the file size is to big. How can I increase the alliance for my forum to accept it thanks

The maximum file size that can be uploaded on vBulletin Cloud is 15 MB. This value cannot be increased. If your file is within that limit, you can increase the limit for any specific file type under Attachments -> Attachment Type manager. Edit the file type and increase the number of bytes allowed. 15 MB is ‭15,728,640‬ bytes.

If your file is larger than this value then I suggest uploading it to YouTube and embedding it in your post from that location.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks you kindly. I managed to shrink the file size. But now it says I cant upload files that are mp4
      Attached Files

Comment

vBulletin doesn't support MP4 by default. You would have to add it as a type in the Attachment Type Manager.

Use video/mp4 as the mimetype.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 17th Apr '20, 10:48am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          vBulletin doesn't support MP4 by default. You would have to add it as a type in the Attachment Type Manager.

Use video/mp4 as the mimetype.
          You mean I can add that extention to take on my site. In the Administration section???
          including Wav. As it refused that too

Thanks

Comment

Attachments are not really secure data so you're taking a risk every time you allow it. By default only certain common file types are allowed to be uploaded due to security concerns. You can define additional file types in the AdminCP under Attachments -> Attachment Storage Manager. Each requires an extension (which really tells us nothing about the actual file), a file size in bytes, and a mimetype. The mimetype tells the server how to handle the file.

The mimetype for MP4 is video/mp4. If you wanted to added MKV (another popular video format) the mimetype would be video/x-matroska. WAV is audio/wav. If you click the inline help for Mimetype and Headers on the "add new extension" screen, it will list some common types and a link to find more mimetypes. However if you just google the extension plus the word mimetype, you can find them as well.

You can also remove extensions from the Attachment Type List if you don't want to allow those files to be uploaded.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks for your help.

You mean I could lose the video files I upload as an attachment. Or can they not be saved in a backup. Sorry if I don't understand. But the little movies are nothing private. And can be shared. Or downloaded by users

Comment

I don't see where I said anything about losing attachments. The files will be saved as any other attachments and backed up nightly through the system. You can request a backup from your Member's Area as well.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  I don't see where I said anything about losing attachments. The files will be saved as any other attachments and backed up nightly through the system. You can request a backup from your Member's Area as well.
                  When you said Secure :::=== Attachments are not really secure data so you're taking a risk every time you allow it. So what does that mean please

I didn't understand that sorry. Nothing i put up is private to me. So all good I think
                  also if you use an outside source. And they delete the file. It's gone. I'd rather keep it

Comment

Attachments are files. They contain viruses, malware, and other nasty bits of code. When you allow random strangers to upload files to your site, you're taking a risk that they are not good citizens and will prey on your users. They should never be considered secure. You have to weight the benefit against the risk for your personal site.

However, I do suspect that if someone does upload a file with malware to a cloud site, it will disappear. The network protections will find it and kill it.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Ahhh i see now. Well I'm only going to have that privilege i hope. Others can use youtube etc. Etc
                      I'm only concerned with my files. So can I set it so only I can upload my own little videos. Thanks again. Youve been brilliant

Comment

I did it all. And am still denied doing the upload
                        I added it like :~
                        video/mp4
                        Attached Files

Comment

extension should be 'mp4'
                          mimetype should be 'video/mp4'

Wayne Luke

Comment

Ok dumb question. Where does this get placed?

mimetype should be 'video/mp4'

I dont see anything that says mimetype

Comment

On the Add New Extension and/or Edit Extension screens.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-24_10-30-03.png
Views:	12
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	4439073

Wayne Luke

Comment