Tips to better manage data used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to better manage data used

So my forum is on the 75GB/month plan. I received notice that we went over that limit this month. I understand that traffic drives this, but I was curious if there are any tips or tweaks to help with some of the usage? Any suggestions?

Thanks

You have a lot of Huawei bots on your site. I am guessing they are indexing it. You can ban their IP Addresses under Settings -> Options -> User Banning Options. It would reduce the amount of data they are able to suck up.

159.138.15*

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Comment

Wayne Luke Is there a way for me to see those bots and tell they are bots? I see many “guests” viewing my forum, but I don’t want to block legit lurkers. Just wondering for future reference.

Comment

I looked at the "Who's Online" for your site and did a few googles on "whois XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX". Just replace XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX with the IP address that you're curious about.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jameskl
            jameskl commented
            Editing a comment
            I really appreciate your help!!!

I have added half a dozen bot ips to the ban list but they are still showing as online.
          Are they actually accessing the forum, or just looking in the window?

Comment

They will see a "The Administrator has banned your IP Address" error message and recorded as being online in the session table.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I was banning IPs as Wayne Luke suggested. I was spending a ton of time looking at each bot to determine which were “good” and which weren’t, then banning the bad ones as he directed. Every time I got in there I was finding more. For some reason the bad guys like my forum??? The banning was working, but it seemed like they were staying ahead of me in that race. I got sick of messing with it and it was taking up too much of my time.

Long story short, I decided to change the guest usergroup setting “can view topic content” to no. Guests can still see my channels and topics, but they can’t see what’s in the topics.

This did two things. First, it stopped those bad bots from chewing up our bandwidth by indexing EVERYTHING over and over. Second, all of our “lurkers” signed up to be able to view the content. This increased our registered users by a significant amount. Many of them still only lurk when they log in, but quite a few started joining in on the discussions which is great! I didn’t realize we had so many lurkers.

The downside to doing this is it blocks the legit bots from indexing my forum. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc can’t see our new content except the topic titles. I’m ok with this because it’s keeping our bandwidth usage to what we are allowed on our cloud plan so I don’t have to pay more than I need to for cloud. I pay for our registered users to access the forum, not guests and bots.

So far its working well for my forum. I’ll probably keep this change permanent unless I find a big enough downside to go back.

Thanks again Wayne Luke for your help!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X