Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Flood of rogue registration attempts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It isn't ideal to block IP addresses at the site level. However, this is the only mechanism available to Cloud at this time.

Leave a comment:

• JLChane
    replied
    Is it advised to continue to block problem IPs at the site level when running in vBulletin Cloud?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The datacenter and network that Cloud runs on has its own protections to protect against DOS and DDOS attacks. There is no way to block specific IP Addresses on the server level with Cloud. The protections are designed to preserve network integrity and performance from a large variety of sites. In addition to vBulletin Cloud, Internet Brands has a lot of different sites to manage of their own.

Whether this suits your specific need depends on what you consider to be a rogue user registration.

Leave a comment:

• JLChane
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    You can prevent specific usernames from being used under Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options.
    Is there any top-level IP blocking in the Cloud or do we continue to block problem addresses individually, or both?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can prevent specific usernames from being used under Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options.

Leave a comment:

• imager
    replied
    I've given up on open registration and now moderate all new members before they can post. That still means they can register with abusive names that can still be viewed until the spam registration is deleted.

Leave a comment:

• Carrfixr
    replied
    It's nice to have the IP stuff working again. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Carrfixr
    replied
    I guess it was the tool
    https://www.ipfingerprints.com/

Thanks i'll use the one that you posted from now on. I'm aware of the proxies and vpn's, but it is still a valuable tool to run all ip's. Indonesia does not have these old cars there and many are spammers

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I don't know why you're getting that location. I get Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for the first IP address and Ridgely, Maryland for the second. Though they can actually track to anywhere in the world through VPNs and proxies.

Maybe the tool that you're using doesn't track IPv6 addresses properly. I used: https://www.iplocation.net/

Leave a comment:

• Carrfixr
    replied
    Just curious why all these IPv6 I assume IP’s are all coming back to India
    example

2601:44:0:50a0:b482:220e:82d0:30e

2601:144:8100:5510:7959:36ed:4bfa:ac41
    Last edited by Carrfixr; Thu 9 Jan '20, 5:47am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    As far as I am aware, this should be active now. The IPv6 issue on Cloud was not related to the vBulletin software but the Cloud network infrastructure and Cloudflare.

Leave a comment:

• Carrfixr
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    We've disabled the "pseudo-IP Address" for IPv6. This means that Cloud sites should start logging IPv6 addresses properly.

Please note, these will not display correctly in some locations such as the Member's List on the front end until your cloud site is upgraded to 5.5.6.
    So after the next update, IPv6 will be displaying correctly? And this would also be correct on a new users registration.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    We've disabled the "pseudo-IP Address" for IPv6. This means that Cloud sites should start logging IPv6 addresses properly.

Please note, these will not display correctly in some locations such as the Member's List on the front end until your cloud site is upgraded to 5.5.6.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    IPv6 is supported by current versions the software.

It is not currently supported by vBulletin Cloud due to infrastructure issues between its servers and Cloudflare. Currently this IPv6 support is turned off on vBulletin Cloud and Cloudflare will return fake IPv4 addresses. We will re-evaluate enabling this support again in the future when there is better support in the Cloud infrastructure.

Leave a comment:

• Carrfixr
    replied
    Originally posted by JChaz View Post
    Like all of us with open registration forums, these attempts are common, its nothing really to get too concerend about, but something you can keep on top of.

Checking new registrations on a daily basis takes a minute of your time. Any new registrations that are suspicious I generally just hit the delete button. Those that look genuine and have registered with an IP address which resolves to something I know, will be given a week to confirm regsitration before I grab the e-mail address and remind them they need to confirm registration. If I don't get a reply - the delete button is applied!
    The Ipv6 addresses are not supported by the software. They come back as invalid when checking them. Yes many use services to mask their IP but it's still a lost tool that I miss

Leave a comment: