Image size too large for upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image size too large for upload

Is there anything I can do to resolve the problem of uploading images direct from mobiles or other devices. The forum relies on the ability to put images up and the size taken on any phone these days appears to be just to big to handle. The users on my forum are not the most techie minded, so any difficulty and they give up. The number of posts has dropped dramatically since the change to vBulletin Cloud and I seem to be losing regular posters because of it.

It looks to me like the site is dying, mainly because of the difficulty with images. They are used to just uploading as per FB and other social media platforms, so the seem to be drifting away from forum use to FB groups and other forums.

The maximum image dimensions that can be uploaded on Cloud are 4608 X 4608. Mobile phones don't store images this large even if they have a larger megapixel camera. They reduce it down automatically. These maximum values cannot be edited on Cloud.

However, when an image is uploaded, the system will try to resize it to 1440 X 900 at 900,000 bytes. Much less if this was a migration from vBulletin 3 or 4. You can adjust these values in the AdminCP, like always, under Attachments -> Attachment Type Manager. Facebook does the same thing and resizes every image that is uploaded.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

We have very little issues in this area. The mobile uploads all work just fine. This are our settings fwiw

2097152---- 2048----- 2048
      Last edited by Carrfixr; Mon 23rd Sep '19, 7:02am.
      vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by JChaz View Post
        It looks to me like the site is dying, mainly because of the difficulty with images. They are used to just uploading as per FB and other social media platforms, so the seem to be drifting away from forum use to FB groups and other forums.
        Looking at your site, your main problem is most likely the fact that you restrict image uploads to 20,000 bytes in your AdminCP. Those are 1990s size file restrictions. You should follow @Carrfixr's recommendations for GIF, JPE, JPG, JPEG, and PNG files.

File Size: 2097152
        Height: 2048
        Width: 2048
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 23rd Sep '19, 8:21am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Ah, I see Wayne thought it was a new restriction - didn't realise it was the sites own restrictions getting in the way. Is that File size corrret at 2097152 - I've edited them all so will do some testing to see if it makes things easier for all. Thanks Wayne

Comment

That number of bytes corresponds to 2 megabytes.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              That number of bytes corresponds to 2 megabytes.
              Thats why I asked Wayne, even on my Windows phone (yes I still have one!) the images are over 4Mb

Comment

That is the resized version that is saved on the server. The system will upload up to 20 MB files.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Just done a test upload after the changes and get this
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	test.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	4422544

So is it safe to move those parameters up without causing any problems or is my phone just taking images which exceeds what can be handled?

Comment

Your image couldn't be resized to fit the limits. Unfortunately, this happens. Sometimes you'll have to manually resize the images. We don't have billions of dollars to spend on infrastructure like Facebook does.

The maximum size of an image that can be uploaded on CLOUD is 4608 X 4608. This cannot be changed.

Wayne Luke

Comment

3000 X 2000 image before resizing -

Click image for larger version

Name:	balance-blue-sky-daylight-2944537.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	4422551

Wayne Luke

Comment

I've done some additional testing and entered this Bug Report: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19670

You can try to work around this by increasing the file size allowed. However, that could eat into your 100 Gigabytes of storage.
                        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 24th Sep '19, 9:18am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks Wayne, I'll wait to see what the result of the bug report is, don't want to be eating into forum space if I can help it.

Comment

I've asked the Cloud team to increase image uploads to 6000 X 6000. This should be implemented in the near future.

In the meantime, increasing the upload file size in the AdminCP to a higher value should result in fewer rejections.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• Carrfixr
                              Carrfixr commented
                              Editing a comment
                              When that takes place will it automatically work on the cloud sites without changing any settings manually? will we be notified? That would be a nice improvement
                              Last edited by Carrfixr; Tue 8th Oct '19, 8:24am.

• Wayne Luke
                              Wayne Luke commented
                              Editing a comment
                              What will be changing is the maximum value specified in the /core/include/config.php file of the download vBulletin. Cloud sites don't actually use this file but receive their configuration settings through another method. When implemented, the change will be applied to all Cloud Sites.

The settings inside your specific AdminCP will not be changed with this update.

Thnaks for the support Wayne, will help a lot on my forum as its very much image based and everyone these days thinks a photo taken on a smart phone can just go anywhere. The art of rescaling, re-sizing and cropping is already a lost art with the vast majority.

Comment