AdSense is driving me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AdSense is driving me nuts

I'm having some issues with Adsense on my vBulletin site that I am still not able to figure out after lengthy research. The site is at www.ourhitstop.com and is hosted on the vBulletin cloud . Okay, ads are working on some pages. Namely, the ads seem to work very well on pages that are extremely static, not having additions made to them all day long. Ads are having trouble though with the most frequently visited portions of the site, namely our Daily Hits Thread (DHT). Now, each day, we get a new DHT started and move yesterdays to another section of the site. That section of the site, which we call the DHT archive also is very problematic with Adsense. I realize that continually starting a new page each day is part of the problem (being that at least temporarily it's not indexed each day), but then the ads seem to work on the DHT about 20% of the time. But, then a new page is generated as needed as the day's DHT grows anyway. If I can't get the ads in my DHT, then they're only doing me about 2% as well as they'd otherwise be in generating income.

Where do I even start addressing this problem ?

I'm willing to work on this, but I'm feeling like I'm just spinning my wheels.

I see the Adsense code on your "Daily Hits" topic. However, Google isn't providing any content outside of the iFrame. Make sure your ad unit can be displayed there. Not sure how Adsense works with ad units but if you can specify the topics that you want to display ads for, you will probably have better success.

You'll probably want to look into some sort of auto-loading script that refreshes the ad every time that the user loads a new page in the topic or on a time interval. vBulletin 5 loads topic pages using asynchronous AJAX so there is not an actual page load each time someone clicks to go to the next page. This not only decreases bandwidth usage but provides a better mobile experience.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Why does everything have to be in Greek ?

I see the Adsense code on your "Daily Hits" topic. However, Google isn't providing any content outside of the iFrame.
      I understand that part.

Make sure your ad unit can be displayed there.
      How?

Not sure how Adsense works with ad units but if you can specify the topics that you want to display ads for, you will probably have better success.
      Pretty sure there's no specifying "topics"

You'll probably want to look into some sort of auto-loading script that refreshes the ad every time that the user loads a new page in the topic or on a time interval. vBulletin 5 loads topic pages using asynchronous AJAX so there is not an actual page load each time someone clicks to go to the next page.
      That might as well have been in Chinese. asynchronous AJAX sounds like an out of sync soap product. An auto loading script that refreshes an AdSense ad? But aren't AdSense ads delivered to me from AdSense with my having little control, at least on an "ad by ad basis" over which, when, how, and even if an ad is sent in the first place?

This not only decreases bandwidth usage but provides a better mobile experience.
      I do understand the need to decrease bandwidth.

This whole experience with AdSense coupled with vBulletin Cloud has been a nightmare for the last year. AdSense won't talk to you at all unless you're already making lots of money with them. You can't figure out how to do that very well without talking to them. The VB Cloud doesn't seem very versatile when it comes to AdSense manipulation.

Honestly, I'm considering moving the entire site to another platform...and, of course, the problem with that is getting an honest answer from another platform's staff concerning these problems before, not after, switching....this is awful. I've been struggling with this on and off for a year...walking away...coming back to it...with no gain whatsoever in performance, or my own understanding of the issue for that matter.

I realize that AdSense isn't really the problem of vBulletin, and vBulletin isn't the problem of AdSense...but, damn, all I want is for ads, from AdSense (who is in the business of serving ads), to show up on the pages of my forum hosted by vBulletin (who is in the business of hosting/serving my Forum...among others)

I'm at the point now where I don't want to know why it's so hard anymore...I just want it to work.

So, what do I need to learn to make this work? Who do I need to pay to make this work? What course do I need to take to learn to make this work? Is there an independent source of detailed information concerning various forum platforms that I can trust enough to bet my livelihood upon?
      Last edited by fisherman4737; Wed 11th Sep '19, 10:55am.

Comment

I think a biggest part of your problem is that you don't allow Google to index the content of your topics. Guests can't see the actual topic content. When Google is indexing your site, it is a guest user. It can only see and index what guest users can see. So Google has absolutely no idea on what kind of ads to show on these pages.

You can't have private content and rely on a public ad service for monetization. The two are diametrically opposed.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Perhaps, but AdSense had me create their own login and password that gives them access to these pages. I will experiment with this though as my next step and report back in a couple of days.

Comment