Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videos

Is there a way for users to upload a video from facebook or their mobile device onto the forum? The only way I know of now is to upload it to youtube first.
    vB Mods That Rock!

You wouldn't want there to be a way for users to upload videos directly. It would create any number of issues including but not limited to server load, bandwidth, data usage, and security. It would also create a number of potential legal issues as the host of the content. I'm sure there's a way to make this work if you really want to by adding mp4 to the attachment type manager but I'm not even sure if that can be done with Cloud.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. If the Admin could just do it that may work
      vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

The only way to insert video inline, at this time, is to upload them to YouTube or Vimeo first and embed them from those services.

You can allow users to attach videos to posts but they won't be inserted inline. To do this, you can create Attachment Types for common video container file types like MP4, OGG, WMV, and MOV. However, not everyone will be able to play these. It will depend on the software they have installed on their computers including playback as well as CODECs to interpret the movies. When a user uploads their videos to a service like YouTube, the service will convert the movie to something that is available to the majority of users. Usually MP4 with H.264 or H.265 video content and compatible audio streams.

You can restrict Attachment Types to usergroups under Attachment Permissions. Doing this you can create a custom video bbcode and embed videos into your posts after you convert them to a usable format and upload them. The software packages Handbrake and FFMPEG allows you to convert video formats from one to another. Handbrake has a Graphical User Interface and is fairly easy to use.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Thanks Wayne. Maybe one day it will be part of the software.
          vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

One day, we will probably add the ability to upload and insert a video as simple as it is to do with images today. However, I doubt that we will ever provide the conversion routines. These are very processor heavy and often require dedicated hardware and software.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Maybe you can use your vBulletin forum on https://forum.domain.com and combine it with a Wordpress Cloud website at www.domain.com?

That's what I'll probably end up doing with www.dj.world because let's face it.. all the forums on wordpress are naff.. but.. they have everything else.. like videos etc..

Comment