X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrBillFSE
    replied
    Yes,

Thank you. It just seems awfully silly not to allow www also with a simple CNAME. The way it is now, the www has to hit the hosting server and then to vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• MrsTiggywinkle
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

CNAME Redirects are a method of going through the hosting.
    Yes, I realise that. What I meant was I was given detailed instructions on how to create a CNAME to point the special cloud url so the forum worked but not told to do another if I wanted it to work on www. Even though a short time later I asked how to make www work I was told we can't help ask your hosting - a simple "make another CNAME like you did before but this time enter www.community" would have sufficed if that's what you do.

Anyway, thanks for creating the bug report

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post

When we first joined Cloud, August 2017, it was the first question I asked and was told then that you needed to do it through your hosting. I was never told to make two CNAME redirects.

Will wait and see what you can find out before continuing.
    CNAME Redirects are a method of going through the hosting.

I've created a bug report on the issue to allow at least one alternative subdomain. I would prefer two but we'll see what the Cloud team says.

Leave a comment:

• MrsTiggywinkle
    replied
    Then it must be a recent change. Why it was changed, I don't know but will discuss it with the cloud team. I consider this a bug in the platform.
    When we first joined Cloud, August 2017, it was the first question I asked and was told then that you needed to do it through your hosting. I was never told to make two CNAME redirects.

Will wait and see what you can find out before continuing.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Then it must be a recent change. Why it was changed, I don't know but will discuss it with the cloud team. I consider this a bug in the platform.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 29 Jun '18, 9:29am.

Leave a comment:

• MrBillFSE
    commented on 's reply
    Look at my next post.

• MrBillFSE
    replied

community.domain.tld is a subdomain.

www.community.domain.tld is a subdomain.

Both should have CNAME Redirects to XXXXXXXXXXXXX.vbulletin.net. Then they should get you to the same place all the time.

You should not redirect one CNAME to another CNAME.

I know you are the Technical Support Lead, however you need to talk to the other part of the tech support department. You CAN NOT have both WWW and non-WWW CNAMEs pointing to the XXXXXXXXXXXXX.vbulletin.net. ONLY 1 WILL WORK and that is the one that you register in the vBulletin control panel. The other one will go to the vBulletin maintenance page.

As backup to my comment above that is from FROM YOUR TECH SUPPORT DEPARTMENT:

-----------------------------------------------
    Trevor Hannant
    27th Jun 2018 06:02am
    Hello.

You don't need the www with another sub-domain.

Also, in the Cloud Console:

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/custome..._saas_console/

...you haven't set that as your preferred domain. If you want to use http://www.forum.mydomain.com, then you need to update the URL in there so we know what domain you're pointing your records to.

Please note that you can only have a single domain in our system, if you want to point different variations of your domain URL to the same site, you'll need to set this up via your DNS records.

Best regards,

Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support Staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore ONLY the one domain will work. CNAME to CNAME, does not work. Redirecting a domain in cPanel DOES NOT WORK.

The only way I found after trying 2 hours of variations was with .htaccess.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    I don't know what he tried or why it wouldn't work.

• MrsTiggywinkle
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Wayne, although I thought MrBillFSE said he tried that and it wouldn't work.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Wayne, where you say to do it the same way as when first setting up do you mean send www. to the same URL?

When we first set up we created a subdomain "community" and in the CNAME it goes to the long URL provided by vBulletin cloud which is lots of letters and numbers. All works well.
    community.domain.tld is a subdomain.

www.community.domain.tld is a subdomain.

Both should have CNAME Redirects to XXXXXXXXXXXXX.vbulletin.net. Then they should get you to the same place all the time.

You should not redirect one CNAME to another CNAME.

Leave a comment:

• MrsTiggywinkle
    commented on 's reply
    OK thanks so much for the help MrBillFSE

• MrBillFSE
    commented on 's reply
    MrsTiggywinkle I tried that and even tried redirecting (both as 301 and 302) the www and neither way worked.

• MrsTiggywinkle
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks MrBillFSE yes we have hosting where we can add the htaccess file.

One other quick question before going that route, would a CNAME of 'www.community' pointing to 'community' work?

• MrBillFSE
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by Trevor Matthews View Post
    No doubt someone will be along shortly with a better solution but I thought I would mention what I use, you will need to modify it obviously.
    Turns out that is the best and simplest way to get this to work.

• MrBillFSE
    commented on 's reply

As this is Cloud, none of the information above is relevant. Cloud customers cannot edit their .htaccess files.

You will need to set up a second CNAME Redirect to allow www.forum.domain.com to work. You can do this through your domain name provider the same way you set up forum.domain.com.
    Unfortunately, this is wrong and will not work.

So do we create another CNAME called www.community and send it to the same long letter/number cloud URL?
    ​​​​​​
    In your case, you put the .htacces with the redirect in the top public folder of your subdomain 'community'.

I had originally tried creating the second CNAME pointed to the same long UR for the www.forum.mydomain.com. That will not work because vBulletin only accepts a single inbound URL and https://www.community.com is VERY different from just https://community.com.

In my case, I have mydomain.com set up on a cPanel hosting account. I then added the subdomain forum.mydomain.com in cPanel. I then added the .htaccess with the redirect code above in the subdomain folder on my hosting account. /public_html/forum.mydomain.com/.htaccess.

What that does is that any request to https://forum.mydomain.com goes straight to vBulletin because of the CNAME record and never touches my hosting account. If someone enters https://www.forum.mydomain.com, the request goes to my hosting account folder /public_html/forum.mydomain.com/ and then gets redirected by the .htaccess to https://forum.mydomain.com where the CNAME sends it to vBulletin making it look like the person typed it in without the www.

To make this work, you are going to need hosting somewhere with the ability to place the .htaccess file. It will not work just having the domain solely at a register.