Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Omnibus
    replied
    The issue with allowing searches has always been that they are server intensive. A well-intentioned user can cause server issues by searching for a commonly used term. An ill-intentioned user can cause a site major problems by abusing the search function. Obviously, vBulletin has built some safeguards into the search function, the minimum time between searches being the primary one designed to alleviate server load. Trying to determine which terms to allow and which to add to the list of words to be excluded is trying, if you'll pardon the pun.

Leave a comment:

• MrsTiggywinkle
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    We've tried to catch more instances but haven't completely rebuilt the search engine to accommodate this. Rebuilding your search index if you haven't done so since we released the 5.5.X series may allow more to be caught.
    Thanks for this info.
    Just tested our search and it is indeed finding instances now that it didn't in the past

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    We've tried to catch more instances but haven't completely rebuilt the search engine to accommodate this. Rebuilding your search index if you haven't done so since we released the 5.5.X series may allow more to be caught.

Leave a comment:

• ssfnl
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Yes. It is still an issue.
    Thanks Wayne. So how come I still find results when searching for E350 for example?
    This is the search: https://www.synthforum.nl/search?q=e...A%22e350%22%7D

The problem is that some threads turn up in the results, but others don't. I am trying to find out why.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Yes. It is still an issue.

Leave a comment:

• ssfnl
    replied
    Is this still an issue? When searching in my forum, I do find posts by searching on for example E350 or GR1.

Leave a comment:

• MrsTiggywinkle
    replied
    Thanks Wayne, I didn't know numbers didn't count.

Voted and commented

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17331

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    R20, R30, and R50 are not words. They are the single letter R and will not be indexed. Numbers are stripped out.

I've asked to have full-text searching added to vBulletin 5 since this is possible with MySQL 5.7 and INNODB. However, the JIRA has never reached any sort of traction. Full-text searching would be more in line with the search index in vBulletin 4 and allow searches of this type while reducing the overall size of the database for many users.

Leave a comment:

• MrsTiggywinkle
    started a topic Searching -minimum words size

Searching -minimum words size

We have our minimum search word set to 4 but as we have certain things of 3 letters that might be searched for we have added those to the special search word box.

However it still does not work. I know there are very recent posts on our forum using the terms R20 R30 and R50 but none come up if that search term is used.

Any help appreciated