Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing colour of 'speech bubbles'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Changing colour of 'speech bubbles'

    Could anyone point me in the right direction for changing the colour of the speech bubbles which highlight new posts in a forum please.

    There is nothing in the styles that sounds like it would be these so I guess they have a different name.

    Thanks.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	speech bubbles.png
Views:	43
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4381394
    __________________________________________
    We don't stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old because we stop playing.
    GBS

  • #2
    This is actually quite fiddly to do, it involves editing a css sprite, uploading it using the cloud file manager tool, and then putting custom css in referencing the new sprite.

    An alternative might be to create your own standalone graphics (similar to how vB4 worked) and do the same thing....upload them in the file manager and reference them in some custom css.

    You can see that I did this on my cloud demo site: https://www.adminammo.com
    That site also has an article explaining how to do this:
    https://www.adminammo.com/articles/v...m-icons-to-vb5

    Apologies that it is simply not as straightforward as it ought to be...there's a tracker entry somehwere to make this a lot simpler.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Mark I'll take a look at that. I assumed because it was possible to change colour of buttons that it would be a similar, easy thing to do.
      __________________________________________
      We don't stop playing because we grow old;
      we grow old because we stop playing.
      GBS

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post
        Thanks Mark I'll take a look at that. I assumed because it was possible to change colour of buttons that it would be a similar, easy thing to do.
        Yes and really, it ought to be.

        It is certainly possible to do, some time back I had a green version of the default theme running and I made green versions of those blue icons.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

        Comment


        • #5
          I could do a simple color change of the default sprite icons for you but I believe I read somewhere that the default sprite icons are being changed from png format to svg format so they'd have to be changed again in the future.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have been a bit adventurous and made a basic edit of the standard sprite, uploaded it to your site, and referenced it in some custom css.

            You now have some basic green speech balloons instead of blue ones.

            Hopefully that's an improvement at least.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	4381420
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

            TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
              I could do a simple color change of the default sprite icons for you but I believe I read somewhere that the default sprite icons are being changed from png format to svg format so they'd have to be changed again in the future.
              There is ongoing work to do this in a future version. Once implemented, changing the color of these icons in the future should be easier. You can use the same SVG image and change color, resize, add shadows, etc.. with CSS. Style Variables should be provided to allow changing the colors of icons when the work is completed. The change should give cloud customers a lot more control over the colors of all icons in the system.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 16th Nov '17, 11:51am.
              Translations provided by Google.

              Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                I have been a bit adventurous and made a basic edit of the standard sprite, uploaded it to your site, and referenced it in some custom css.

                You now have some basic green speech balloons instead of blue ones.

                Hopefully that's an improvement at least.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	4381420
                Mark, what can I say except THANK YOU. That's perfect and just what we wanted. You are so kind
                __________________________________________
                We don't stop playing because we grow old;
                we grow old because we stop playing.
                GBS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post

                  Mark, what can I say except THANK YOU. That's perfect and just what we wanted. You are so kind
                  Just a quick heads up on this...

                  When the next version comes out (5.4.0 as it now is), these and many other icons will become SVG based, meaning there will be stylevars that can be used to change their colours, instead of messing about with sprites like we did here.

                  Although this won't break anything on your site, I think it would be prudent for us to work with you to make the same green icons work using the new system, rather than a separate sprite as at present. Might as well take advantage of these features as they are added, it will make things easier for you in the future.

                  Obviously 5.4.0 won't be released until the new year, probably late January, when it does and has been deployed to your Cloud site I will contact you and we can get the changes done.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                  TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

                    Just a quick heads up on this...

                    When the next version comes out (5.4.0 as it now is), these and many other icons will become SVG based, meaning there will be stylevars that can be used to change their colours, instead of messing about with sprites like we did here.

                    Although this won't break anything on your site, I think it would be prudent for us to work with you to make the same green icons work using the new system, rather than a separate sprite as at present. Might as well take advantage of these features as they are added, it will make things easier for you in the future.

                    Obviously 5.4.0 won't be released until the new year, probably late January, when it does and has been deployed to your Cloud site I will contact you and we can get the changes done.
                    OK Mark, that's great. I will make a note and look out for the version going live.
                    __________________________________________
                    We don't stop playing because we grow old;
                    we grow old because we stop playing.
                    GBS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This will make a nice new feature. Looking forward to seeing it implemented in the next update.

                      Comment

                      Related Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X