Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i copy a thread onto the back-end of an existing one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i copy a thread onto the back-end of an existing one?

I posted a similar request the other day so i will try again.

When using the tools available "copy posts, copy topic, to existing topic etc" nothing works as it should.
    I feel this is a design error

I don't believe there is any means to do this presently.

If replies turn into comments when you try, this sounds like a bug, and it would be worth reporting it in the tracker.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Carrfixr View Post
      I posted a similar request the other day so i will try again.

When using the tools available "copy posts, copy topic, to existing topic etc" nothing works as it should.
      I feel this is a design error
      Have you tried 'merge topics' that's what we do. You can choose which topic title to keep and the other topic is merged into it.

Posts in the topics go in time/date order though, not just at the end.

Comment

Thank Mark for picking this up.

It should be able to work because the tools are listed IE

Here is the window that shows for being able to perform this task

Not only do the posts turn into comments, but trying the other method in the wheel it duplicates the posts.

i will start a tracker

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7887.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	4379862

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post

Have you tried 'merge topics' that's what we do. You can choose which topic title to keep and the other topic is merged into it.

Posts in the topics go in time/date order though, not just at the end.
          Thanks for the reply Mrs Tiggywinkle

That option won't work in my case because i need to keep the threads and replies in chronological order.

Thank you both

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mrs Tiggywinkle

That option won't work in my case because i need to keep the threads and replies in chronological order.

Thank you both
            Ok Carrfixr, when I get time I will test what happens on our forum when doing the same sort of moves you are trying.

Comment

Please post the tracker entry up once it is created....
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I hope i did this correct

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17829

Comment

Not only do the posts turn into comments, but trying the other method in the wheel it duplicates the posts.
                  Copying is supposed to duplicate posts. You are making a copy, not moving. Copied posts will be inserted in the order that they were created. This can disrupt the flow of a conversation so replies are converted to comments to prevent this. If you do not want copies to be created or the posts converted to comments, then you should use the merge topic functionality.

The functionality is by design and due to different needs for different customers.

A better JIRA would be to outline specifically what you're seeking with the tools and how we can implement that. It may be a completely different tool in the long run.
                  Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 26 Oct '17, 9:17am.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

Copying is supposed to duplicate posts. You are making a copy, not moving. Copied posts will be inserted in the order that they were created. This can disrupt the flow of a conversation so replies are converted to comments to prevent this. If you do not want copies to be created or the posts converted to comments, then you should use the merge topic functionality.

The functionality is by design and due to different needs for different customers.

A better JIRA would be to outline specifically what you're seeking with the tools and how we can implement that. It may be a completely different tool in the long run.

Using the Merge topics mixes everything up according to the chronological order in which they were made. So merging the topics this way makes no sense for what i need to do as it causes all of the merged threads to be unreadable.

Regarding the posts turned into comments situation, that would be workable if there was not that hidden little button that hides them when there is more than 4 or 5 comments. Nobody knows to hit that button to see the rest. If they were all out in the open for viewing that would be nice.

My ultimate scenario would be to copy or merge threads keeping them intact the same way they were from the beginning.

Comment

You can expand how many comments are shown in the module options. Go to a topic and click Edit Page. Edit the Conversation Module by clicking on the pencil and choosing Edit Module. Then change the value of Initial Comments per Page in a Post (for Thread View only)

All posts within a topic show by the date they were created. You have the topic starter and all of its children (replies) in date order. Then each reply would have its children (comments) in date order. This is why merged topics are "merged" the way they are. This is by design and has worked this way for more than a decade.

It sounds like you want an "Append Topic" function where one topic is added to the end of another. This would require new dates for each of the appended posts.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I adjusted my comment option so thanks for that info as i had no idea it was there. I guess that's what i am after "Append Topic", but i'm probably in a minority to wanting this done.

Thanks Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          You can expand how many comments are shown in the module options. Go to a topic and click Edit Page. Edit the Conversation Module by clicking on the pencil and choosing Edit Module. Then change the value of Initial Comments per Page in a Post (for Thread View only)

All posts within a topic show by the date they were created. You have the topic starter and all of its children (replies) in date order. Then each reply would have its children (comments) in date order. This is why merged topics are "merged" the way they are. This is by design and has worked this way for more than a decade.

It sounds like you want an "Append Topic" function where one topic is added to the end of another. This would require new dates for each of the appended posts.

Wayne i adjusted the comment option in the module as you suggested. The comments still fold up after 3 and i still need to click that tiny triangle to open the rest up.

Comment

That should be entered as a bug. I'll see if I can reproduce.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thank you

Comment