Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ftp settings

Hi all.

I would like to upload a sitemap to the root directory of my domain. The sitemap generated from ACP seems to be rather lacking (only a few lines), whereas an online sitemap generator file was about 92 lines (had every line for sub-forums).

I am using filezilla to upload the sitemap.

What are the ftp settings?

Host? ftps://www.mydomain.com ?
    Username? admin username?
    Password? admin password?
    Port? ??

Thanks!

There is no ftp access to the cloud platform.

The built in sitemap should be perfectly adequate. Plenty of people use it. It will increase as your site grows.
    Last edited by Mark.B; Mon 30th Oct '17, 5:28pm.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Webmaster tools says it can't find a sitemap, and also says that I have not submitted a sitemap, even though ACP says that the sitemap will be automatically submitted to google

Comment

Originally posted by braintrainnerd View Post
        Webmaster tools says it can't find a sitemap, and also says that I have not submitted a sitemap, even though ACP says that the sitemap will be automatically submitted to google
        If you go to AdminCP > XML Sitemap > Rebuild sitemap, and then click Build Sitemap, does that work?
        And if you click (on that same page) the link where it says 'The sitemap will be accessed by search engines via this URL', does that work?

Comment

Neither suggest work. I've actually tried them a few times since yesterday.

Google is just not getting the sitemap.

Comment

Your sitemap is working correctly.

Have you fully verified your site in Google's Webmaster Tools?
            Best way to do this in cloud is with a meta tag:

Go to AdminCP > Settings > Options > Search Engine Tools. Then select Yes for "Enable Google Ownership Verification" option. Then paste the meta tag code provided by Google Webmaster to the "Google Ownership Verification HTML tag" field.

Comment

According to webmaster tools, my site has already been verified, and there is no option to get a meta tag to past into ACP.

I think I may have verified ownership by logging into the goddady's portal to get a code that I then pasted into webmaster tools which still can't see my sitemap.

​​​​I'll check again tomorrow.

Comment

According to webmaster tools, my site has already been verified, and there is no option to get a meta tag to past into ACP.

I think I may have verified ownership by logging into the goddady's portal to get a code that I then pasted into webmaster tools which still can't see my sitemap.

​​​​I'll check again tomorrow.
                There *is* an option to get a meta tag in via the ACP - I posted it above.

Comment

What I am trying to say is that webmaster tools is not providing me the meta tag code.

There a several methods to verify ownership of a website, and I did not use the method that results in a meta tag being provided by webmaster tools. And since my domain has been verified, the option to verify again using the method to get the meta tag is no longer available in webmaster tools.

So I am not able to get a meta tag from webmaster tools to paste into AdminCP. Webmaster tools still see 0 sitemaps. :/

However, in webmaster tools, there is a button to test a sitemap that is already in the root directory ie. https://www.mydomain.com/sitemap

Are you able to put the sitemap for my domain into the root directory? Then you can give me the full address of the sitemap ie. https://www.mydomain.com/sitemap.xml, and I can get webmaster tools to test it.

Thank you.

Comment

In webmaster tools you need to add the sitemap, Google won't find it on its own.

Click your property (site) name, then click the grey Sitemaps bar on the right, then click the red Add Sitemap button.
                    The box that pops up should be pre-filled with the start of your URL, add:
                    core/xmlsitemap.php
                    as the location, and save.

Comment

Thanks heaps Mark!

Comment

Just a question about the sitemap...is it dynamic? Does it automatically increase with my site? Or do I need to keep submitting a new sitemap whenever I create new sub-forums?

I noticed that webmaster tools shows the same number of sitemap pages submitted 4 days ago, but I've added at least 3 new subforums.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi vBulletin staff, could you please regenerate core/xmlsitemap.php and put it into my domain's root folder so I can resubmit it in webmaster tools? I've added new forums. Thank you.

It appears that this method does not update the sitemap automatically as the forum expands, like the method where the meta tag is pasted into AdminCP, so I will have to ask for the sitemap to be regenerated manually every once in a while and then resubmit in webmaster tools?

Comment

Hi vBulletin staff, could you please regenerate core/xmlsitemap.php and put it into my domain's root folder so I can resubmit it in webmaster tools? I've added new forums. Thank you.

It appears that this method does not update the sitemap automatically as the forum expands, like the method where the meta tag is pasted into AdminCP, so I will have to ask for the sitemap to be regenerated manually every once in a while and then resubmit in webmaster tools?
                            We have no means to do this.

Google will pick up the new pages in due course. The meta tag isn't just to verify your site, and only needs to be done once, it hasn't nothing to do with what the sitemap contains.

Comment