Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    By default, only administators see the IP addresses. No one else has permission to view them unless you gave them that permission.

We've shown search engines in the Who's Online for over a decade. We've found that most customers actually want them to be shown. This is not a new change. In vBulletin 4.X, the only difference was that it showed Google, Bing, or Yahoo instead of Guest.

Leave a comment:

• sawgrass
    replied
    The robots.txt is not going to stop their IP's from showing up in the who's on-line. Why does the software not know the different out of the box? In other forums, I've never seen search engines showing up in the who's on-line.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Use Robots.txt to control them.

vBulletin has never included anything that limited their access. Using Robots.txt is the proper and accepted way of controlling bots on your site.

Leave a comment:

• sawgrass
    replied
    I don't want to exclude guests. I want to exclude Google, Bing and Yahoo who keep hammering the site.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by sawgrass View Post
    After reading this:
    https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...s_group_online

In order to remove the bots from showing up in the who's online, it says go to:
    vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Who's Online Option

Why is it that there's no such option in VB 5.0 CONNECT?

Is 5.0 not a finished product? I only want real visitors from showing up. Most all of the documentation on this web site all seems to keep referring to 3.0 or 4.0 apparently.
    That is from the vBulletin 4 manual. Not all settings and options from older versions still exist. Just because an option wasn't carried forward, it doesn't mean the software isn't a finished product.

All available options for the Who's Online module are set within the module itself. However there is no way to exclude guests since they are a large portion of a site's traffic.

Leave a comment:

• sawgrass
    replied
    After reading this:
    https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...s_group_online

In order to remove the bots from showing up in the who's online, it says go to:
    vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Who's Online Option

Why is it that there's no such option in VB 5.0 CONNECT?

Is 5.0 not a finished product? I only want real visitors from showing up. Most all of the documentation on this web site all seems to keep referring to 3.0 or 4.0 apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Vergara
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    If they don't have permission to view those areas, they would be viewing a No Permissions error.
    And they will still be listed in the online list as Guest.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    If they don't have permission to view those areas, they would be viewing a No Permissions error.

Leave a comment:

• fccorp
    started a topic Guests - Who's Online

Guests - Who's Online

As we all know, when viewing Who's Online, a number of "Guest" appear in the list. The majority of these "Guest" are spambots.

I have denied access to all areas of my site to unregistered users and users awaiting email authorization. Those users are stopped from accessing the areas of the site.

While viewing Who's Online, it continues to show Guest in locations such as Searching Forums, Searching Profiles, etc. I presume these are the bots, correct? If so, are they actually able to view details in those areas or are they met with a "stop" message, in my case instructing to login or register.

Thanks!