Help in determining how much hardware I need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in determining how much hardware I need

I've been running a pretty high-traffic board dedicated to a basketball team for a number of years:
    Registered Members: 15,616
    Total Threads: 71,912
    Total Posts: 1,237,249
    Concurrent Users: 160-260 thoughout the day, 350+ at times of big wins or trades (could be more since I've always capped it to so many apache connections).
    Believe it or not, I've been running on the same dedicated machine for some time, a Celeron 1.3 GHz, 512 MB RAM. I've stripped numerous features in order to keep the board running.

I've been looking seriously at servermatrix and am ready to pull the trigger, but I can't really determine how much hardware I need. I've read several reviews here. I believe I'll need atleast the P4 2.8 GHz, but the questions I have are:

1) Do I need the SCSI HD, or will the IDE drives at servermatrix suffice (in other words, put more money in to processor or memory)?
    2) Is 1024 MB RAM enough or worth it to go 2048 MB RAM (an extra $40/month)?

The options I'm looking at are:

1) Super Server: 2.8 GHz P4, 80 GB IDE Drive, 1024 MB RAM (or the upgrade)
    2) Super Xeon: Dual 2.4 GHz Xeons, 80 GB IDE Drive, 1024 MB RAM (or the upgrade)
    3) Super SCSI 2.8: 2.8 GHz P4, 73 GB 10000 RPM SCSI Drive, 1024 MB RAM (or the upgrade)

Since money is an issue and I'd be paying to set it up, I'd like to get the right machine to run my board efficiently.

Take the dual Xeon. You'll have room for growth and you won't have to limit the apche connections for one baord of that size. Use SCSI as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X