Hosting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting Question

Does vBulletin work on geocities payed hosting. Yahoo Small business hosting standard for $20 a month. It has the correct support, but i just want to be sure if it'll work. It supports basically everything except asp and asp.net.
    I need to know and be sure before i spend $160 on vbulletin...
    link to hosting site:
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/bzinfo/prod/wh/
    I'm wondering if vBulletin 3 will work. I'm planning on buying a licence when vbulletin 3 gold or the final version comes out.
    Don't say anything if my host sucks =/ it's the only one i know and trust right now I didn't exactly look for the best host out there, but i'm sure there's a lot..
    Let the flames begin.

Run as far away from this as possible! I wouldn't trust my installation on one of these servers. It doesn't even say if you get a control panel and if you do what kind.....not very good. Yahoo is a great portal but they really have no place in the hosting industry. You can check out some hosts here:

webhostingtalk.com
    hivemailhost.com
    socketmailhosting.com
    communehost.com

All of these have good and reliable bulletin board hosting on good equipment that's specialized for what you are wanting to do. The webhostingtalk.com address is a forum for webhosting companies so you can check there as well.

Comment

Hey, I'm willing to pay up to $40 a month, but i can't right now, i currently owe $50 because i couldn't pay for it all. I am only 14 =/ lol and i'm getting all this expensive stuff. I'm happy my mom actually let me use her credit card for this stuff... I'm paying $20 a month and i currently don't like yahoo, but i trust it. somehow i don't know why... I had an account where i had to pay $40/month a while back, but i wanted vbulletin, so i took it down a bit to $20 a month. From Merchant Starter to Web Hosting Standard. It has trouble acurately reading the space invision and phpbb forums. It thinks about 1 MB is about 70MB, i think that sucks. Well i might get a host just for my forums that is probably under $10, but i might actually change my entire host to the one you are sending to me . I'm just going to buy the "vBulletin Owned Licence" I just love the vBulletin forums (as in like them a lot, not as in marrying them ), i tried the admin demo and like the forums a lot better than the others, my friend suggested a "cracked" or a "spyfixed"(i kinda forgot what he said, but i'm guessing he said spyfixed, i may be mistaken) copy, but i explained to him that the vBulletin team worked hard on making these forums and that they need credit for making them. (Thanks vBulletin!) I just need another $100 and i got myself a licence!! It's probably going to take a week before i get that money. I think vBulletin is well worth the price it costs, It's huge, but it's worth it! I'm just waiting to hear from someone that has the "ok" or "yes" that it works with yahoo small biz hosting.

I'd be amazed if people actually read that
      Last edited by Lurk; Tue 17 Feb '04, 7:47pm.
      Let the flames begin.

Comment

There have always been problems with Geocities and especially Yahoo hosting services. I normally don't comment on web hosts, but I would not recommend either of those for vBulletin or any PHP/MySQL applications.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm going to get a "vBulletin owned licence" as soon as i can, probably in a week. I'm going to install them on the yahoo hosting service i currently am using. If they don't work, i'll witch the host, because if it doesn't work, that's a waste of $160..

My yahoo hosting service has a hard time reading the actual file sizes of mostly php files. I have a hard time installing some free php forums. If you want to view my site, it's http://www.LurkCorp.net

It may suck , oh well, i can't afford any templates, and i don't really know how to make my own. I'm going to get some free forums installed today, i kinda screwed them up.

It's not a big site, so don't worry if it sucks or not, but if you really think it sucks, please try to post something that would help make it better
          Let the flames begin.

Comment

Once again I strongly recommend againt using Yahoo hosting - and I don't make this recommendation lightly. Yahoo purposely disables a lot of PHP functions that are a normal part of vBuletin operations.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yeah, i really believe i am going to switch, but right now, i don't know... I really want to get vBulletin, that is a must, i am 100% sure i'm going to get it.

I don't like spending over $100 on stuff i don't get a box or software. I only like spending that much on hardware, and stuff like that. But vBulletin is well worth the money i'm going to spend on it. Right now, i'm trying to enhance my site as many ways as possible. I just wish i got a box or something from vBulletin
              Let the flames begin.

Comment

anyone here use CommuneHost
                i'm planning to switch, i want to know the highs and the lows. or the pros, cons, etc etc etc
                Let the flames begin.

Comment

If you are able to spend $20 to $40 per month I would go with a serious business, a host that's in business for a few years and caters to the high end market.
                  Maybe you should do a search on www.webhostingtalk.com and look for recommendations from real users, but be aware, there are also many kid hosts there offering tons costing nothing...
                  More than 10 years experience in building communities!
                  Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

ok, i'll do a host, because yeah, i want a serious business, i'm not saying CommuneHost is bad, but i want a serious business. I still might switch to CommuneHost if there isn't anything better that it.

CommuneHost has good support for a good price. Support as in lots of space and file formats supported.

What do you mean by a "serious business" ? A business that has an enterprise building, etc?
                    Last edited by Lurk; Thu 19 Feb '04, 6:51am.
                    Let the flames begin.

Comment

Ok, it's getting hard to choose a host can anyone here tell me the best one out there, for around $20-25/month?
                      Let the flames begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurk
                        Ok, it's getting hard to choose a host can anyone here tell me the best one out there, for around $20-25/month?
                        There really is no "best host". There is only the one that works best for you, and that can be tough to find.
                        • Are they a legit? Licensed?
                        • Are they in school? Just a part time thing?
                        • Do they provide a phone contact? Or a toll free number if you *must* get ahold of them?
                        If I was in a position to be looking for hosting, those are a few of the *minimum" things I would look at. Anybody can get a reseller account and claim to be a Web Host. At the same time, there are some verl large hosts that provide poor service.

I suggest contacting the sales, support contacts with a few questions, see how they react and respond. See how long it takes them to respond.

Will they refund your money if they are "not the right host" for you?

Regards,
                        Glenn

Comment

I'm going to switch to Real Web Host. That is the name of the hosting service. Unless anyone can come up with something better with a lower price .
                          Last edited by Lurk; Thu 19 Feb '04, 2:55pm.
                          Let the flames begin.

Comment

Hivemailhost is pretty good. I've been hosting with them for awhile now. Support is always quick and they give you a support number when you file a trouble ticket. There are some things I guess that they would like their customers to use their support forums and helpdesk for rather than tying up their phone lines with simple questions that people could fix from the forums or help desk. Communehost isn't too bad but they are an offshoot of Viperhost and if you look through their forums they've had aquite a bit of downtime during their existance and their equipment advertising is a little misleading.

Comment

I'm going to switch to Real Web Host sometime this week.
                              btw, to anyone working at vbulletin, please answer this question for me:
                              can i use vbulletin.net as a domain to my forums? if not, i understand.
                              Let the flames begin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X