Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking For A Host (Please Offer Advice)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For A Host (Please Offer Advice)

Hey everyone.

An aquaintance of mine and I have decided to build an Oregon Ducks community, and we'd like to use vBulletin as our bulletin board. He said he could help towards the website financially--a few hundred dollars, he said.

Well, now it's my job to find the host. This will be my first time using a host, or even making my own real website for that matter. All I am interested in right now is to have a relatively simple homepage and a forum. Here's the thing--I don't plan on having a lot of members, especially for the first year. I hope that by the end of my first year, I could have about 2000 posts and 200 members.

This is where I would like your input. Based on the money that I have available, and how many posts/members I believe I'll have after the first year, what host is the best idea for me?

I would truly appreciate some feedback. Thanks, everyone.

For someone with nearly no experience I honestly can recommend http://www.venturesonline.com - not the cheapest but with a solid network and good support.
    More than 10 years experience in building communities!
    Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

http://www.siteflip.com/services/index.html

I actually was thinking about using SiteFlip and getting the Cpanel Developer package for $60/year (500 MB disc space, 8 GB data transfer/month).

Would that amount of space be enough for me?

Comment

500 MB disk space should be more than enough for quite some time.

But I am a bit skeptical about hosts offering e.g. 100 MB space for 0.99 per month
        Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

Originally posted by walter
          500 MB disk space should be more than enough for quite some time.

But I am a bit skeptical about hosts offering e.g. 100 MB space for 0.99 per month
          My friend uses SiteFlip, and he has had no problems with it. If 500 MB is enough, is the 8 GB/month for data transferring enough? Or should I find more at a different hosting website?

Comment

Originally posted by Loyalty4Life
            My friend uses SiteFlip, and he has had no problems with it. If 500 MB is enough, is the 8 GB/month for data transferring enough? Or should I find more at a different hosting website?
            8 GB/month will take you very far...
            One forum where I am a moderator uses about 3 GB traffic/month and has 2-15 users online at a time...

If you have to rely on very cheap hosting at least take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com - and maybe search for comments about a host...
            http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=siteflip

Comment

500MB and 8GB is more than enough for many boards. It all depends on how much stuff you put on the server, if you allow attachments, etc....
              Most people do not really realize how much you can actually fit in to 500MB of space. 8GB will allow quite a bit of transfer.
              Good luck, and post a review of them after you have been there awhile.
              Cheers,
              Glenn

Comment

If anyone else can give me their suggestion, I would really appreciate it.

Comment

Always look for community based host. Check to see if the host itself runs a discussion board. It’s helpful if support technicians can relate to the problems you might possibly have. Make sure that they offer several means of contact for support, rather than just email or tickets. Depending on where you are located, it’s nice to find a host that is close to the same time zone you are.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're always eager to help vBulletin customers.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Hope you're happy with our services. Look forward to seeing your site soon. Let support know when you're vBulletin is ready to integrate with the portal.

Comment

Thanks Trent. I think pdwebs was a great choice for me, and I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me personally.

Comment

Thanks Trent. I think pdwebs was a great choice for me, and I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me personally.
                        I did too, then we were down 6 times in 25 days(during primetimes). The last outage was for almost 24 hours with FTP and mail being down for more then 24 hours in our case.
                        Computer Help Forum
                        An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by noppid
                          I did too, then we were down 6 times in 25 days(during primetimes). The last outage was for almost 24 hours with FTP and mail being down for more then 24 hours in our case.
                          Today for the 7th time in 27 days pdwebs.com is down. I don't think I could be more dissatisfied with a host. Ugh!
                          Computer Help Forum
                          An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

I would strongly recommend venturesonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by noppid
                              Today for the 7th time in 27 days pdwebs.com is down. I don't think I could be more dissatisfied with a host. Ugh!
                              We were down today? http shows no restarts bro.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X