Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second server for SQL - advice please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second server for SQL - advice please...

Hi guys

At the moment I am running the following server:

Dual Xeon 2ghz
    2 GB RAM
    2 x 30GB SCSI drives
    Running CPanel on FreeBSD

Our site usually sits on load levels of 0.8-2.0 on average. Now, from what I understand this is not optimum, and we should be able to get better out of the server, but running 3 vBulletins on it (and a phpBB forum) - only one of which is v.busy - I guess I shouldn't expect too much

So, I am wondering if a secondary server, for our SQL, would be a good idea. If so, would I need a machine with identical specs? Or would, say, a single CPU machine with 512MB-1GB RAM do the trick?

Our largest vB has a 1GB database, averaging 1-200 people online at any given time, sometimes a few more. Throw in our static sites, we may have 250-300 people hitting the server at any one time...

I don't want to switch hosts - not because my current one is fantastic (they aren't), but because it's a pain moving all our sites *and* our client sites after moving just 8 months or so ago...

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Thanks!
    Mark

Originally posted by MarkB
    Our site usually sits on load levels of 0.8-2.0 on average. Now, from what I understand this is not optimum, and we should be able to get better out of the server, but running 3 vBulletins on it (and a phpBB forum) - only one of which is v.busy - I guess I shouldn't expect too much
    0.8-2.0 is fine for a Dual Xeon Server. Is hyperthreading enabled?
    Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

I have no idea. How do I tell, and should it be?

Comment

Oh, and thankyou for the reply

Comment

I have no idea. How do I tell, and should it be?
          The two CPUs acting as 4 CPUs with enabled hyperthreading. That means 100% server load = 4.0 (1.0 x 4 CPUs).

Is your site actually slow?
          Contentteller Community Forums

Comment

Hi guys

At the moment I am running the following server:

Dual Xeon 2ghz
            2 GB RAM
            2 x 30GB SCSI drives
            Running CPanel on FreeBSD

So, I am wondering if a secondary server, for our SQL, would be a good idea. If so, would I need a machine with identical specs? Or would, say, a single CPU machine with 512MB-1GB RAM do the trick?

Our largest vB has a 1GB database, averaging 1-200 people online at any given time, sometimes a few more. Throw in our static sites, we may have 250-300 people hitting the server at any one time...

I don't want to switch hosts - not because my current one is fantastic (they aren't), but because it's a pain moving all our sites *and* our client sites after moving just 8 months or so ago...

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Thanks!
            Mark
            0.8 - 2.0 is fine for dual cpu server even upto 4-6 is okay for 1 to 5 min intervals
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I have a sysinfo page showing the following:

Processors 2
              Model Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
              Chip MHz 1997

So I'm guessing it isn't running with hyperthreading, since it only shows 2 processors...

The site is slow at times, yes -- at least once a day it slows down to almost unuseable speeds - but nowhere near as bad as it was before we moved to a dual-cpu server...

Comment

I have a sysinfo page showing the following:

Processors 2
                Model Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
                Chip MHz 1997

So I'm guessing it isn't running with hyperthreading, since it only shows 2 processors...

The site is slow at times, yes -- at least once a day it slows down to almost unuseable speeds - but nowhere near as bad as it was before we moved to a dual-cpu server...
                SSH in to the server, and run the "top" command. If hyperthreading is enabled, you will see the 4 "processors" there. Sorta fun to watch if you get bored too.
                Glenn

Comment

Nope

How do I enable hyperthreading? Or is that a hardware thing I'd have to get my host to do?

Thanks

Comment

Nope

How do I enable hyperthreading? Or is that a hardware thing I'd have to get my host to do?

Thanks
                    Here is a post on disabling it. You should be able to look at the steps involved, and re-enable it. You might check with your DC first, they may have a good reason for not using the hyperthreading... worth asking first.
                    Glenn
                    http://forum.rackshack.net/showthrea...hyperthreading

Comment

Kind of off topic, but does cPanel run pretty good in FreeBSD?

J.

Comment

Seems to work ok for me

Comment

Your loads are excellent for a Dual Xeon.

Comment

Hmm... it's just that at least once a day it slows down a crawl. Maybe that's due to backups occuring? *shrug*

Comment

If you have large backups or are backing up multiple sources at once, that may be the case. The backup that WHM does allow (be it weekly, daily, monthly, or all 3), do take a chunk of processor useage at times.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X