No announcement yet.

VenturesOnline vs RackShack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't buy from RackShack they are nazim, I hate them!

Comment

Originally posted by yarivot26
      Don't buy from RackShack they are nazim, I hate them!
      If you're going to say you hate them, tell us why. Have you even ever had a server with them?

Comment

there is one of the admin that have an avator that show the flag of Isreal and then there is a circle with a diagonal line, that mean "Isreal no" or something like that.

Comment

there is one of the admin that have an avator that show the flag of Isreal and then there is a circle with a diagonal line, that mean "Isreal no" or something like that.
          So you are letting an avatar of one admin put you off from hosting with them?

If you are uncomfortable with that admin's avatar then request that they remove it, just because one of them has a certain view of the world does not necessarily mean that is the view of the whole company.

Comment

I won't feel comfortable to give my money to a nazi, maybe the other admin don't think like that, but if I'll buy from them he still getting my money.
            End a real pro company won't do anything that will insult other, special a whole nation.

Comment

I won't feel comfortable to give my money to a nazi, maybe the other admin don't think like that, but if I'll buy from them he still getting my money.
              End a real pro company won't do anything that will insult other, special a whole nation.
              Do you have any idea where I can find that? I browsed their admin's profiles and found nothing of the sort. Your rambling...
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I agree about the part about the avatar, that none of the staff or admins have such an avatar.

I don't agree with the rambling part though as everyone is entitled to their opinion and you don't have to reveal any other reasons, as it isn't really any of our business trying to press you for further answers. You don't have to further clarify yourself if you feel uncomfortable to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by bahawolf
                  Well, I think I might go to RackShack..
                  My theory is, you get what you pay for.
                  And so, I understand that I'll need to do my own updates, and do the tedious work of server management. But, I also realize RackShack has many friendly users, always ready to give a helping hand. And to conclude my point, if I'm buying a server, I'd like to be able to call the shots, so to speak. I wouldn't want major things happening when I wasn't there.
                  This was the thinking we had before switching to RS. We figured that it was cheep enough to give it a shot but were a bit concerned on how things would fair. Our dual Xeon RS is the 4th server we've had in 20 months and is by far the most stable server and network. Not that the others were bad--our previous host was great except for dinging us on overage.

My only advice if you choose the dual Xeon with SCSI drives and RedHat 7.3 is to update the kernel now or never. Erwin has a thread on RS's forums stepping you through the process. In short, the RPM update from RedHat will not work with that server--I don't remember why--something to do with the SCSI driver. But if you blow it, you will probably need to have RS reimage the installation. Obviously, that was the first thing I did after setting the server's time.
                  Cygwin - all the tools to make Windows complete (cvs, vim, diff, grep, gcc, ssh, ...)

Comment

Originally posted by kippesp
                    My only advice if you choose the dual Xeon with SCSI drives and RedHat 7.3 is to update the kernel now or never. Erwin has a thread on RS's forums stepping you through the process. In short, the RPM update from RedHat will not work with that server--I don't remember why--something to do with the SCSI driver. But if you blow it, you will probably need to have RS reimage the installation. Obviously, that was the first thing I did after setting the server's time.
                    It's not to do with the SCSI. It's to do with the Dual Xeon RH 7.3 being unable to upgrade the kernel using rhn up2date - my How-to shows you how to update the 7.3 mkinitdr to 8.0 version, so that up2date kernel upgrade works.

Comment

You are being a bit of a moron in many senses.

You assume the avitar is anti-jew. That is probaby wrong, most likely the person is expressing disdain in the government.

There is no Admin with that avitar so your whole argument is based off of your warped imagination.

You are best off not buying from EV1 since their servers are unmanaged and you do not have the intelligence to run one yourself.

Comment

I just signed up for a VO reseller account about 30 minutes ago. It is VERY user-friendly for a newbie. They sent me detailed instructions, links, ID's and passwords, was all set up with CGI-BIN, Front Page Ext, PHP, mySQL, etc already. Maybe it is a whole $1 a day for 1000meg/20g trans, but it was very easy and fast to get started. Took 10 minutes to start uploading from the time I snapped on "Buy" to the time I ran phpinfo() on their site.

So far, I'm REALLY impressed. But then again, I just came from Yahoo who is argueably the worst ISP on the planet.
                        2005 GMC Sierra Diesel Pickup "Casper" 10.59 @ 129
                        World's fastest production diesel pickup 174.586mph Bonneville 2008.
                        www.duramaxdiesels.com

Comment

I can't possibily say a single negative thing about Ventures Online. If you're interested in quality, professional hosting and a rock solid support staff, they can't be beat. They assist whenever possible in the management of my servers and have a phenominal response time.

Admittedly, though, their pricing is slightly above average, but you certainly get what you pay for. We are currently inbetween a collocated solution with VO vs. a dedicated server with Rackshack, simply for the pricing RS offers. We're at the point where we rarely need assistance in managing the server and have a number of technically competent people involved in the site who are able to troubleshoot and correct problems as they arise.

Comment

For a newbie, how many hours a month would you be expected to put in to manage the server? Would you get notified if you had to update your server with a patch? I window shop at ev1 all the time!

Comment

I've never had a server with RackShack, but I've heard a lot of bad things about them.

Although, I do have a dedicated server at ServerBeach. I'm very happy with ServerBeach, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Comment

For the record, this server is a dedicated box at Ventures Online, and the central development server is one of Rackshack's dual Xeon machines - Rackshack's prices are astonishingly cheap but I've been significantly less than impressed with their support thus far.

Luckily we can get by without assistance for the most part, so we took advantage of the low price to get an extra server (which we upraded to 2GB of RAM).

We also have a bunch of other servers dotted around the place, some of which are extremely fast and are used for speed development and load testing etc.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X