Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated host with their own Datacenter?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dedicated host with their own Datacenter?

    I'm looking for an inexpensive dedicated hosting option. I was leaning heavily towards RackShack until I started reading their forums and found that they often pull the plug on customers servers with little or no justification.

    So, I'm looking for other options. I'd like to stay around $150 for a P4 server and I want a company that has their own datacenter, not just reselling form someone else.

    Any suggestions?

  • #2
    Originally posted by KingsFan
    I'm looking for an inexpensive dedicated hosting option. I was leaning heavily towards RackShack until I started reading their forums and found that they often pull the plug on customers servers with little or no justification.

    So, I'm looking for other options. I'd like to stay around $150 for a P4 server and I want a company that has their own datacenter, not just reselling form someone else.

    Any suggestions?
    Heh if you found a datacenter that hosts dedicated p4 servers for around $150/mo then I think we'd all be there, but I seriously doubt you'll find one for that price range. Just buy your own server and colocate it some where, it'd be around ~$100 depending on bandwidth, size of the server (1U/2U), etc - then you'd be in total control of the server, and you can only blame the datacenter or yourself for problems.

    J.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chaotic Reality
      Heh if you found a datacenter that hosts dedicated p4 servers for around $150/mo then I think we'd all be there, but I seriously doubt you'll find one for that price range. Just buy your own server and colocate it some where, it'd be around ~$100 depending on bandwidth, size of the server (1U/2U), etc - then you'd be in total control of the server, and you can only blame the datacenter or yourself for problems.

      J.
      RackShack's are $129/mo for a P4 with 512MB Ram and an 80GB hard drive; so its not like its out of the question. VO has one for $169/mo which isn't bad, but I was just wondering if there was anything else in that price range.



      How does collocation work? Do I need to be close to the datacenter or can they hook it up for me? If I need to be close anyone know of one in the Sacramento, CA area?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KingsFan
        RackShack's are $129/mo for a P4 with 512MB Ram and an 80GB hard drive; so its not like its out of the question. VO has one for $169/mo which isn't bad, but I was just wondering if there was anything else in that price range.



        How does collocation work? Do I need to be close to the datacenter or can they hook it up for me? If I need to be close anyone know of one in the Sacramento, CA area?
        Colocation is just putting your own server some where else, essentially a dedicated server, but it's YOURS. Dedicated servers are a complete waste of money if you ask me, but that's my opinion.

        There are a lot of datacenters in California. Check out webhostingtalk.com - there are people that are "colocation resellers" - they'll colocate your server for you, and you pay them every month, for prices similar to dedicated hosting, in most cases cheaper. I'd recommend looking at people who host through hurricane electric, they have a couple of the best datacenters in the world. ( www.he.net - located in the bay area) This is strictly my own opinion; there are thousands of options out there, but what I just mentioned, is what I will be doing myself.

        J.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes HE (Hurricaine Electric) would be a good choice, or you could just contact above.net (if you ever grow over 50 servers) that is where HE leases the space for their cages and uses CN connections from. AboveNET has a facility in San Jose. Personally, we just moved to RackShack using dual XEON servers and our customers are very pleased so far. We had some servers at AboveNET's Vienna facilty, in fact Chaotic Reality was there and it was a disaster, but I think it was more a problem with DV2 (the provider we were getting servers from) and not AboveNET.

          For Co-Lo, you don't have to live close. It is the same as a dedicated server, but you are suppling the hardware. If you don't have a server, but thinking this route may be for you check out host2own.com AKA "Cari" California Internet. If you do have a server. Most facilities will accept Fed Ex and configure it for a small fee.

          Comment


          • #6
            Several customers here, do use RackShack, and not many if any that I've seen, have said that Rackshack, "pulls the plug" for no reason.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KingsFan
              I'm looking for an inexpensive dedicated hosting option. I was leaning heavily towards RackShack until I started reading their forums and found that they often pull the plug on customers servers with little or no justification.

              So, I'm looking for other options. I'd like to stay around $150 for a P4 server and I want a company that has their own datacenter, not just reselling form someone else.

              Any suggestions?

              There is usually a pretty good reason if RS pulls a server. It is not a "sport" for them... and there are always two sides. Usually, turns out the customer ignored abuse reports/took no action.
              Glenn

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sb-host
                There is usually a pretty good reason if RS pulls a server. It is not a "sport" for them... and there are always two sides. Usually, turns out the customer ignored abuse reports/took no action.
                Glenn
                I've been reading the forums (at rackshack) for the last week or so waiting for the $1 setup special to come back and have seen many horror stories. Two that come to mind are an inaccurate claim of copyright violation (they pulled the plug before asking for proof) and someone that was having a DDoS mounted against their own server (inbound traffic).



                BUT... I did only read one side of the story and given the fact that they supposedly have 17,000+ servers, it's just a small fraction of their customers. The copyright thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the DDoS attack. If someone doesn't like my site for some reason all they have to do is launch a DDoS attack against it and my host pulls the plug. I know nothing about how one would launch a DDoS attack or how difficult it is so maybe I’m making too much out of this.



                I think given the fact that the majority of reviews I've read here are positive and that they are by far the cheapest solution around I will go ahead and give them a try.



                Thanks for everyone’s input.

                Comment


                • #9
                  LOL, I already found one:

                  http://www.fastservers.net/

                  Edit: I forgot to mention that since then, their prices have went up. Co-location is the same through.
                  Last edited by ShiningArcanine; Sat 6th Sep '03, 12:02pm.

                  Comment

                  widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X