X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VO question re: mass-emailing from vB + MySQL connections

Questions for those using VO...

Persistent mySQL Connections:
    Due to the fact that persistent mySQL connections have the ability to use considerable server resources, this configuration is not allowed on our shared servers. It is understood that in some situations, persistent connections may actually reduce resource usage on a server. However, we have found that connections are commonly not released properly and are, therefore, more detrimental to a shared hosting environment than they are helpful.

So what's the deal with that? Is this normal? Does this have a real impact on the performance of a vB forum? Is it better to have persistent connections? Do all the hosts not allow MySQL persistent connections on shared servers? Should I look for a host that allows this?

Mailing Lists
    We have a strict policy regarding use/spam on our network, but we do allow use of mailing lists within the constraints of our spam policy. However, sending thousands of e-mails off of a given server can impact the performance of the server. Therefore we limit the amount of e-mail allowed on our Shared Virtual Servers (including the Bulk Reseller servers) to no more than 1000 e-mails per day and 30 emails in 10 seconds

I have 3500 members on my forum and I regularly send mass-email to them through vB... will that be impossible if I was using VO???

Well let me give this one a try for you.

As far as using persistent connections, I have operated both ways and currently run 2 forums on VO with persistent connections off. I have not noticed an performance difference. Basically if you use persistent connections, it is just that; when a user connects to the database, the connection is not broken once the query is finished. However with persistent connections off, the connection to the database is made, the query ran and the connection broke. Actually since they only allow 45 connections on the database at once, this is a better option to prevent database connection errors.

Regarding the mailing lists, since the VB uses the php mail function, you are not using the server to send e-mails as you would if used the build mailing list features and put that list in the BCC of an e-mail through outlook. When I use the mail feature, I send it out to 100 people at a time and have not ran into any problems.

Hope that helps out,
    Scott Z.
    sigpic
    Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

Thanks Scott!

I think I am going soon for VO

Comment

Running vB will not effect your e-mail question. It sends out directly. We allow 3000 e-mails per day at TFH, but also excluded from this is our mailing list software built into cPanel. It is counted as one e-mail even if you have 10,000 subscribers.

Comment

I tried to e-mail you back but it bounced; said you were over quota.

Yeah I do recommend them. I have never had any complaint with service;
          customer service or the actual hosting service. I plan to upgrade to a
          dedicated plan in the future. Both of my sites are currently on V500 plans.

If there is anything else I can help with just let me know,
          Scott Z.
          sigpic
          Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X