Hosts to stay clear of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosts to stay clear of.

There's plenty of threads about good hosts, now for the bad ones.

www.domainsvision.com

When i signed up i thought i got a good deal, Just over £80 for;

50Mb webspace
    Unlimited bandwidth
    Cpanel
    Unlimited subdomains/databases/email addresses

for the first few months they were GREAT - the provided quick and simple but effective support lightening fast server no downtime, but they started slacking off.

They changed the unlimited bandwidth to 2 gigs a month without even telling me, i only found out when i went over 2gigs and they shut down my site 'till the end of the month.

There downtime about once a week, sometimes lasting up to a day.

the servers are getting WAY too slow.

Their support response now sometimes takes days/weeks.

i think they've taken on more clients than they can handle tbh.

hopefuly i'll be getting a friend to host me in summer, so i'll be able to do away with them forever~

Well, unlimited bandwidth should have feared you off. Unlimited bandwidth doesn't exist. So be not surprised about the bw limit. It may was written small in the TOS or so... And 80£ for 50 MB webspace...Quite a lot. May the reoccurring downtime is due to "overselling" and the server goes down due to too high load.
    Ueli

Comment

i skim read the TOS and didn't see anything, but it would have still been nice of them to inform me of any changes.

Comment

haha

%99.5 uptime
        that said 99.9% when i signed up ^_~

Comment

webhosting.yahoo.com
          Stay off of there, you can't have attachements because the phpinfo.php file is weird.
          (http://www.rforums.com/phpinfo.php is an example

Comment

Originally posted by ak1
            webhosting.yahoo.com
            Stay off of there, you can't have attachements because the phpinfo.php file is weird.

Build DateMar 7 2002

Real Web Host

Comment

I hope your future hosting companies are a better experience for you.

Comment

I've been on liquidweb for about 3 months now. They have been having too much down time lately. I'm moving my site as soon as I can find another host.

Comment

Originally posted by ak1
                  webhosting.yahoo.com
                  On the phpinfo page:

System Nothing to see here... Move along...
                  WTF. Guess they don't want hackers.

Comment

Yahoo is pretty limited, they basically are offering a small upgrade from GeoCities, but that's about it.

Comment

Infinology.

If you see them, run away screaming like a sissy schoolgirl.

Comment

there are a ton of hosts to stay clear of.

the key is not getting a list, but knowing what to stay away from.

You know what they say about a deal being "too good to be true".

Compare prices with known respected companies if you don't know what prices should look like. Anything more than 50% price difference for similar features should throw up warning signs.

Comment

Stay WAY clear of

www.freehostingweb.com

Man it took me 2 months to get my DNS changed, I had to contact the MAIN dns people to override them because they would not answer email or phone

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP
                            Stay WAY clear of

www.freehostingweb.com

Man it took me 2 months to get my DNS changed, I had to contact the MAIN dns people to override them because they would not answer email or phone
                            alwayswebhosting is shocking.

Similar stories.

Used to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by nebby
                              There's plenty of threads about good hosts, now for the bad ones.

http://www.domainsvision.com

When i signed up i thought i got a good deal, Just over £80 for;

50Mb webspace
                              Unlimited bandwidth
                              Cpanel
                              Unlimited subdomains/databases/email addresses
                              Ventures Online is 1500MB space, 40GB/month bandwidth, cPanel, root access since the account is semi-dedicated. I've never seen a downtime of more than 3-4 hours.

For £55/mo. Oh, and vBulletin.com uses Ventures Online too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X