Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VenturesOnline - anything BAD about them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottct1
    replied
    We talked to them about it AFTER they shut us off WITHOUT WARNING (and again I will point out that our server load was basically the same for over 6 months) and they refused to turn us back on, even when we placed our order they wouldn't let us temporarly turn our forum back on while they put our new server in place.

Again I understand why they did it (10 million hits a month) but it took them a long time to figure it out and then shut us off without warning.

If they would have came to us and said "Hey we notice your site is using a lot of resources we need to move you to a different plan or you need to find hosting somewhere else" it would have been fine, we would have agreed with them, selected a new plan and we would not have been offline for 4 days.

And like someone else reported the shut us off right after we paid our bill for the month, and we did not get any credit for our down time.

VenturesOnline is a good host technically but their customer service skills suck.

Leave a comment:

• walter
    replied
    Originally posted by dadymac
    i used to use VO, and i had an unmodded vbb on it, and my account (with less than 10 members on it at any one time) was suspended for excessive resources
    Did you talk with them about it?
    I was in exactly the same situation with them long time ago, I had a small VBB shut down because of a masssive server load. I sent them an email and they reenabled it within 4 hours.

You have to understand, when a server has a massive load the techs have to act fast, they are only humans and will make errors.

Leave a comment:

• dadymac
    replied
    i used to use VO, and i had an unmodded vbb on it, and my account (with less than 10 members on it at any one time) was suspended for excessive resources, i remember even whining about it on here a lil over a year ago.

i really thought VO was good, but just that one experience threw me off, all they had to do was look and realize that my board was stock, no cgi, just vbb...so simple, yet they made it a pain.

im sure people will have tons of good experiences for everyone of the bad ones, but im just sharing.

Leave a comment:

• tamarian
    replied
    Originally posted by walter
    How much traffic?
    From their actual page at
    http://www.venturesonline.com/hosting/ded-options.html
    it seems they do average billing, too? Or only 95percentile above 200 GB only?
    We use around 160+ gigs a month, all compressed. Only 50 gigs is included with the server package, so it's $220 extra per month for traffic above 50 gigs.

The 95 percentile, I think, is applied when there are huge spikes (regardless of total bandwidth), it's a seperate billing, but don't know how it works since we never got into that situation.

Leave a comment:

• walter
    replied
    Originally posted by tamarian
    Howver, if you have a busy site with a very high bandwidth, it gets really expensive, since they charge by 95 percentile.
    On a dual PIII 1.13 ghz, I'm paying $700+, simply due to extra bandwidth, and I'm using GZIP level 9
    How much traffic?
    From their actual page at
    http://www.venturesonline.com/hosting/ded-options.html
    it seems they do average billing, too? Or only 95percentile above 200 GB only?

Leave a comment:

• tamarian
    replied
    I have my dedicated server with VO.

Their network is premium bandwidth, and they have good support.

Howver, if you have a busy site with a very high bandwidth, it gets really expensive, since they charge by 95 percentile.

So, IMHO, if you are running a site/forum on a topic you love, but you don't sell anything to make money, stay away from them, it will bankrupt you

On a dual PIII 1.13 ghz, I'm paying $700+, simply due to extra bandwidth, and I'm using GZIP level 9

So, as we don't sell anything to cover the cost, I'm considering a move to RackShack or any affordable dedicated host, with more genrous bandwidth.

If you are selling a product and need an excellent server for business, VO is great.

Leave a comment:

• SaintDog
    replied
    Well, since 5 Million hits can convert to many different things, I am not sure what the actual traffic is (i.e. page views, unique visitors, or actual GB's of traffic), but I have hardly heard anything bad about them except the moving e-mails that some get.

At RackShack, just to be clear, an unmanaged server means they basically take care of hardware support (faulty hardware, new hardware, ect) and OS re-installs, that is about their limit since all software will be installed manually by yourself or them if you opt to pay them.

If you are looking for help finding a dedicated solution, I will be more than happy to help if you will PM me.

Leave a comment:

• JamieFry
    replied
    I use Ventures Online, too. Their service has been excellent - virtually no downtime. HOWEVER, I also was required to upgrade to a VPS for excessive use of resources. My site averages about 5 million hits per month. Ventures Online gave me a few days to make the decision and move to the VPS. As pleased as I am with the service, I find myself constantly looking for a lower cost option. I wonder if I could adequately manage an unmanaged dedicated server somewhere like RackShack.

Leave a comment:

• futureal
    replied
    scottct1: I had the same thing happen with VO and one of my sites. With no warning, no phone call, no e-mail, no nothing, they just pulled the plug on my site, ironically about 3 days after I had just paid the bill for that month. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy. They weren't apologetic, either, they basically said "you have to upgrade, otherwise we will not turn you back on." Making matters worse, I was out of town at the time, and it turned into a huge hassle since I could not be online to even give my users notice that this was happening.

I stayed with VO because I have 3 sites there (2 shared and 1 dedicated now) but the experience did not make me happy at all. If there was a comparable company out there that offered the same type of service and pricing structure, I would be inclined to move. From my perspective, they screwed me, and I won't forget it.

Leave a comment:

• scottct1
    replied
    Just another update,

After almost 3 days of being down we are back online with VenturesOnline.

Our new dedicated server already has 75 users on it, and it is quite snappy!

While I was upset at what happened I am now feeling better again when I see the improved performace from the new dedicated server.

Leave a comment:

• veedee
    replied
    I hosted with VO for over 12 months. I didn't have one problem with them, they really were fantastic.

I since moved from VO, because I couldn't afford their server, to Server Beach. Although I am paying 1/3 the VO server bill, the service at Server Beach isn't as good.

I'm hoping to get a happy medium at Rack Shack.

Leave a comment:

• scottct1
    replied
    We did after they shut us off. (and we would of if they notifed us in advance, we did know we were getting big once we hit the 10 million hits a month mark)

Just an update our new server is up now they are just moving everything from one server to the other.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    You might consider upgrading your plan

Leave a comment:

• scottct1
    replied
    Btw in reply to my own message above, I was just reading at VO's site their resource abuse policy https://www.venturesonline.com/info/resource-abuse.html which states
    All accounts that are found to be using excessive amounts of system resources will receive an e-mail warning from Ventures Online. This warning will inform you that the site is using excessive system resources. Ventures Online will provide options for reducing the usage and/or upgrading your account. If the situation is severe, we may suspend the account or process immediately to bring performance of the server back to an acceptable level. 24 hours notice will be given if at all possible.
    We were not given such notice at all. Just shut off.

I should note that our server has been running now for months with no new hacks or additions to our site, our site has been running like it has for quite a long time. Nothing has changed. This I feel we should have been giving a warning (and again our feeling was to upgrade to a dedicated server which we did) But again we got ZERO notice.

We will be staying (for now) with VO because as I said they have been good up until this point. But again still upset to lose my forum for 3 days over nothing.

Leave a comment:

• scottct1
    replied
    We were doing really well with VO until this week. (Infact we have been recommending VO to others starting / running forums.

On Monday afternoon our board was gone...

When we logged in to the Help Desk there was the following message.

Greetings:

We suspended the site: dbstalk.com on Mrdo for using an excessive amount of resources. The amount of traffic that site is generating far exceeds what is considered "normal" for shared hosting accounts and is causing excessive load on the server.

This account must move off of this server onto a dedicated hosting solution. We will unsuspended this account if the following conditions are met:

Disable the forum.

We will be more then happy to answer any questions on the subject.

Best regards,

Steve
    We realize we have grown (we are getting 10 million hits a month!) and we have been paying for everything (like extra bandwidth) they shut us down WITHOUT warning us and we are STILL down while we wait for them to move us to a new Dedicated Server (which was supposed to take less then 24 hours)

I am a little peaved that they did not contact us first, we would have been happy to move to a dedicated server and we could have avoided being down for 3 days. (Now going on day 3)

We believe in paying for what we use, have no problem with it, VO has been an excellent host however again I am still upset that they shut us down with no warning whatsoever.

Scott
    DBSTalk.COM

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X