Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VenturesOnline - anything BAD about them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, since 5 Million hits can convert to many different things, I am not sure what the actual traffic is (i.e. page views, unique visitors, or actual GB's of traffic), but I have hardly heard anything bad about them except the moving e-mails that some get.

At RackShack, just to be clear, an unmanaged server means they basically take care of hardware support (faulty hardware, new hardware, ect) and OS re-installs, that is about their limit since all software will be installed manually by yourself or them if you opt to pay them.

If you are looking for help finding a dedicated solution, I will be more than happy to help if you will PM me.

Comment

I have my dedicated server with VO.

Their network is premium bandwidth, and they have good support.

Howver, if you have a busy site with a very high bandwidth, it gets really expensive, since they charge by 95 percentile.

So, IMHO, if you are running a site/forum on a topic you love, but you don't sell anything to make money, stay away from them, it will bankrupt you

On a dual PIII 1.13 ghz, I'm paying $700+, simply due to extra bandwidth, and I'm using GZIP level 9

So, as we don't sell anything to cover the cost, I'm considering a move to RackShack or any affordable dedicated host, with more genrous bandwidth.

If you are selling a product and need an excellent server for business, VO is great.
      vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

Originally posted by tamarian
        Howver, if you have a busy site with a very high bandwidth, it gets really expensive, since they charge by 95 percentile.
        On a dual PIII 1.13 ghz, I'm paying $700+, simply due to extra bandwidth, and I'm using GZIP level 9
        How much traffic?
        From their actual page at
        http://www.venturesonline.com/hosting/ded-options.html
        it seems they do average billing, too? Or only 95percentile above 200 GB only?
        More than 10 years experience in building communities!
        Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

Originally posted by walter
          How much traffic?
          From their actual page at
          http://www.venturesonline.com/hosting/ded-options.html
          it seems they do average billing, too? Or only 95percentile above 200 GB only?
          We use around 160+ gigs a month, all compressed. Only 50 gigs is included with the server package, so it's $220 extra per month for traffic above 50 gigs.

The 95 percentile, I think, is applied when there are huge spikes (regardless of total bandwidth), it's a seperate billing, but don't know how it works since we never got into that situation.
          vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

i used to use VO, and i had an unmodded vbb on it, and my account (with less than 10 members on it at any one time) was suspended for excessive resources, i remember even whining about it on here a lil over a year ago.

i really thought VO was good, but just that one experience threw me off, all they had to do was look and realize that my board was stock, no cgi, just vbb...so simple, yet they made it a pain.

im sure people will have tons of good experiences for everyone of the bad ones, but im just sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by dadymac
              i used to use VO, and i had an unmodded vbb on it, and my account (with less than 10 members on it at any one time) was suspended for excessive resources
              Did you talk with them about it?
              I was in exactly the same situation with them long time ago, I had a small VBB shut down because of a masssive server load. I sent them an email and they reenabled it within 4 hours.

You have to understand, when a server has a massive load the techs have to act fast, they are only humans and will make errors.
              More than 10 years experience in building communities!
              Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

We talked to them about it AFTER they shut us off WITHOUT WARNING (and again I will point out that our server load was basically the same for over 6 months) and they refused to turn us back on, even when we placed our order they wouldn't let us temporarly turn our forum back on while they put our new server in place.

Again I understand why they did it (10 million hits a month) but it took them a long time to figure it out and then shut us off without warning.

If they would have came to us and said "Hey we notice your site is using a lot of resources we need to move you to a different plan or you need to find hosting somewhere else" it would have been fine, we would have agreed with them, selected a new plan and we would not have been offline for 4 days.

And like someone else reported the shut us off right after we paid our bill for the month, and we did not get any credit for our down time.

VenturesOnline is a good host technically but their customer service skills suck.
                Yup I run a BIG Board.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X