Opinions on an RS server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on an RS server?

Do any of you know what processor would handle a medium sized VB (4000 members) the best? We also have 40 other sites running on the server with very low traffic and a few small databases.....

Intel Celeron 1.3GHz
    Intel Pentium4 2.0GHz
    AMD Duron 1GHz

Thanks for you help

Personally, I would go with the Pentium 2.0GHz, both the celerons and durons have low cache which slows things down a bit. Taking on the 2.0GHz will allow for some expansion and will later come in handy if you are running 40 other websites as well.

Comment

Personally, I'd go with the AMD, but I'm biased.

I'd think that CPU usage would be fine with any of those solutions. I'm running a dual-proc box, but my CPU's sit mostly idle, even with gzip compression turned on. What's the cheapest choice?

Anyone here fine CPU utilization is their limiting factor? I'd likely go with the cheapest CPU, and make sure I had more than a gig of ram, and maybe pay for faster hd access...

But then, I'm new here and only run one vB board...
      The High Road

Comment

If only one website was on the server, the lower cost, low cache processors would due, although with 40 additional websites, a larger processor would be needed (especially if you intend on the websites to grow).

Cheaper is not always better, when it comes down to it, I would not even run a duron or celeron in my home computer, much less a server (personaly exp.). I don't have anything against either company (intel or amd), but the processors are for cheaper computers and are what you see today in the "pre-built" laptops and desktops; even at that, they are bringing in Athlon XP's instead of more durons (companies such as HP/Compaq), that should say something .

Comment

Awesome Thanks for your input guys

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
            Awesome Thanks for your input guys
            *cry* Just PLEASE make sure that your box is secured! If you dont know how to administer a linux box, hire someone to do it for you, if you cant afford that dont get one! Their are so many boxes hosted at rackshack that are so incredibly insecure it isnt even funny! [hint, pm me for server admining lol :P]

Comment

in reply to f0urtyfive's post, I can be a valid reference if you decide to hire such services

Comment

I love the AMD chip. Nothing but good things to say about it and its speed

Comment

My site is on the RS Intel Celeron 1.3GHz. 3000 plus members, 50-100 users online, seems pretty damn zippy to me. The Celeron has been excellent.

Comment

Imagine how zippy it would have been if you used a Xeon ...

Comment

Originally posted by Smoothie
                      My site is on the RS Intel Celeron 1.3GHz. 3000 plus members, 50-100 users online, seems pretty damn zippy to me. The Celeron has been excellent.
                      Hey smoothie We have the same box and similar stats, that's nice

Comment

Originally posted by Coreace
                        Imagine how zippy it would have been if you used a Xeon ...
                        Can't imagine it being much zippier than it is...

Comment

RS is great!

Comment

I ran an intel celeron server for a quite a while and never encountered a lag problem with them. I think that server would be able to handle to it.

Comment

how insecure are their servers?
                              CorollaTunerz.com
                              http://www.corollatunerz.com/sig.gif

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X