Looking for a new, dedicated? host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new, dedicated? host

Right now I'm on VO's V650 plan, no longer offered. Problem is, we're doubling our allocated bw (30gb) and filling up our harddrive (650mb) fairly quickly. The VPS plans don't really offer significant performance increases, if any at all, since the V650 server only has very few clients, and 3.6gb of ram along w/ dual p3-933s.

My site has 23000+ members, and usually averages 100-120 users online at any one time. During primetime we might hit up to 150, 170 on busy nights, and during tour time (Dave Matthews Band) we can go high - 300 and more.

Now on our current plan, traffic is never a problem. The server always handles everything without as much as a hiccup. My question is, what kind of setup will I need in order to match this performance? I am guessing at least 1gig of ram, and at least a single 1ghz P3, but probably more, right ? Basically I'm looking for what kind of hardware I should aim to get with a dedicated server. Thanks in advance.

Eva?

Matthew Yette
    [email protected]
    Matthew Yette
    [email protected]
    antsmarching.org - People in every direction

so you problem is lack of space and increasing bandwidth costs ?

what's your current rate of grow in posts, members, traffic etc ?

have you considered buying a server and colocating it (i know a few good hosts )

i'd go for a

rh 7.3 with latest smp 2.4.x linux kernel
    PHP 4.2.3 with mysql 3.23.54a rpm binary
    PHP Accelerator + Mod_gzip

dual p3 1.26ghz tualatin-s 512k L2 cache
    1gb reg ecc pc2100 ddram
    2 x 18GB SCSI 10k rpm hdd either in raid 1 or 2nd disk is dedicated to mysql data and install (i.e. /var partition)

but really depends on your growth rate and your budget
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

eva, what would a server like that cost?
      Bike Forums.net

Comment

hard to say depends on if you go for brand (ie. dell/ibm/compaq) or non brand servers - the motherboard and brand of memory and disks and raid controller you use and if you buy it retail or get someone or yourself to build it

i'd say around US$1800-2200ish

most expensive parts would be

rackmount chasis
        reg ecc ddram
        dual cpu server motherboard
        scsi disks
        raid controller

edit: that US$1800-2200 would be for PC133 reg ecc memory system and board - a bit more for PC2100 DDRAM reg ecc memory and motherboard
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
          hard to say depends on if you go for brand (ie. dell/ibm/compaq) or non brand servers - the motherboard and brand of memory and disks and raid controller you use and if you buy it retail or get someone or yourself to build it

i'd say around US$1800-2200ish

most expensive parts would be

rackmount chasis
          reg ecc ddram
          dual cpu server motherboard
          scsi disks
          raid controller

edit: that US$1800-2200 would be for PC133 reg ecc memory system and board - a bit more for PC2100 DDRAM reg ecc memory and motherboard
          This would be something hosted, so monthly cost, we'd like to stay below $200. Our main concerns are b/w and storage space, yes, but also speed. Our site is dynamic, very database intensive, and I'm concerned that by switching to something else, we will suffer a performance decrease.

We get anywhere between 1500-2500 posts per day, we average 60 new members a day, and I'd say at our current rate, we do 2GB/traffic perday, which is increasing by the month.

Matthew Yette
          [email protected]
          Last edited by yetdog111; Thu 23 Jan '03, 2:09pm.
          Matthew Yette
          [email protected]
          antsmarching.org - People in every direction

Comment

that's how many posts/day my forum had at it's peak but my server was doing twice the bandwidth per day

you definitely need a dedicated server with scsi drives

dual p3 1.13ghz or higher
            1GB memory
            2 x 18gb scsi drives one dedicated to mysql's /var data partition or raid 1 them

as to bandwidth that can cost between US$1 - 3/GB for 60-100GB you're looking at max US$100 - 300 per month alone excluding the server so you'd have to be realistic about the <US$200/mo preference

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X