Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min memory allocation on a shared virtual server

Hello all,

What is a reasonable and minimum amount of RAM that should be allocated to each user on a virtual server?

Can anyone give some statistics for a forum with a significant no. of subforums at various traffic levels?

I'm nervous that my forum will die on the day it is launched!

Willie

Most web hosts have a set amount that you can use, but should you go over that, you will be contacted. I have seen 3%, 5%, 8%, and 10% of the total memory may be used, but anything over will get you an e-mail regarding your resource usage.

A new forum is hardly going to kill a server right off the bat .

Comment

Originally posted by waherne
      Hello all,

What is a reasonable and minimum amount of RAM that should be allocated to each user on a virtual server?

Can anyone give some statistics for a forum with a significant no. of subforums at various traffic levels?

I'm nervous that my forum will die on the day it is launched!

Willie
      Difficult... most ISP's will do as SaintDog mention - allocate a certain amount and then kill off any resource hungry process. Others (such as the Ensim ServerXchange) will allocate a minimum i.e 256RAM but you can throttle the server resources 100% if possible.

Unless you find a 'friend' who can host you (with a few others). Whether your forum will die on it's first day depends on your forum If you know you are going to be popular, then choose a 'bigger' package from the ISP.

Comment

Working...
      X