Hosting vB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting vB

Is it possible to host my soon-to-be-bought vB on my windows server. I have apache 1.3.27 with php 4.2.3 with mysql4a.

I've never heard of 'mysql4a'. I recommend MySQL 3.23.33 or higher. And use a stable veriosn, not an alpha or beta.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by dav3
      Is it possible to host my soon-to-be-bought vB on my windows server. I have apache 1.3.27 with php 4.2.3 with mysql4a.
      Is this a windows server with an ISP or located at your place? Yes, it is possible to run vB on Windows - but you don't really want to do that Get yourself an UNIX provider

Comment

I was planning to host it on my computer, since I feel it is the most reliable. I was planning to use the package @ www.firepages.com.au

Comment

I was planning to host it on my computer, since I feel it is the most reliable. I was planning to use the package @ www.firepages.com.au
          Yes, I have used that package myself. Very good and it actually worked (MySQL, php etc). Your vB should be ok running on that, perhaps you need to fidle a bit but ok. If you plan to have a busy forum I'd suggest moving to a plain Unix server with an ISP. I use this package only to test my scripts, database and new developments.

Comment

I hyave just successfully installed invision board on my windows server. I am going to be purchasing vB soon, seems like its the most reliable and feature-rich forum out there. If I can install invisision, can I install vBulletin on it?

Comment

I still don't know what versiob of MySQL you are running:
              Originally posted by Steve Machol
              I've never heard of 'mysql4a'. I recommend MySQL 3.23.33 or higher. And use a stable version, not an alpha or beta.
              Do you have a phpinfo.php file? If not create a text file with this content:

PHP Code:
              <?php
              phpinfo
              ();
              ?>
              Name it 'phpinfo.php' then upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

if he is useing phpdev he is probably useing mysql 3.23.33.
                one problem with hosting a board on your pc is it will make your modem slower, and you could get hacked i don't suggest running any type of site off your pc, but only a test server and not a public one.
                but thats just imo.

Comment

I hyave just successfully installed invision board on my windows server. I am going to be purchasing vB soon, seems like its the most reliable and feature-rich forum out there. If I can install invisision, can I install vBulletin on it?
                  Yes, you can run vB just fine. Again, I would not use your config in a production environment. For that please get a UNIX provider.

Comment

Ok, I am running PHP 4.2.0, but I think I am going to buy hosting, since the mysql database seems to hold very little connections. What is a 'good' host, that is not too expensive, but that can hold a vB with about 200-300 members?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X