Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated Servers...are they really worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated Servers...are they really worth it?

I'm thinking of expanding my site, and I'm going to have about 7 added domains. I have had problems with racknine ever since I've been with them and I'm now considering a dedicated server, do you believe it's worth it or not?

I plan on a network of sites. So I will need something very large to handle the traffic that I plan to get with the traffic that I already have.
    Last edited by CloakSim; Tue 5 Nov '02, 4:05pm.

If you don't tell us your needs regarding traffic, space and CPU usage it's immossible to answer this question.
    But if your network of sites don't fit into a reseller account or you are in need of more control a dedicated server will be your best choice.
    More than 10 years experience in building communities!
    Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

We'd need about 20 - 30 gigs of bandwith, along with 3 - 4 gigs of space for all the sites. Not sure about sys usage, but we'd be running alot of mysql queries, and using PHP mainly.

We'd like to start a network of 7 or so sites, so we don't know if it's worth it to buy 7 shared/virtual accounts or 1 dedicated server.

The problem though, is we'd need the system pre-configured and we'd need someone to update the security and take care of it.

Any recommendations?

Comment

Can someone also explain what a reseller account is?

Comment

As a reseller you either buy predefined hosting packages from your host at a reduced rate or you buy one big expensive package you can divide amoungst your or your customers web sites.
          Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

Originally posted by CloakSim
            We'd need about 20 - 30 gigs of bandwith, along with 3 - 4 gigs of space for all the sites. Not sure about sys usage, but we'd be running alot of mysql queries, and using PHP mainly.

We'd like to start a network of 7 or so sites, so we don't know if it's worth it to buy 7 shared/virtual accounts or 1 dedicated server.
            A dedicated server is the way to go if you plan for the long term and you need some control.
            Other ways would be either a big reseller package or a VPS (virtual private server). The last one is comparable to a dedicated server (not only feature wise but also regarding maintenance!). Both are way cheaper than a dedicated server.

The problem though, is we'd need the system pre-configured and we'd need someone to update the security and take care of it.
            You basically describe a managed server, that's a dedicated server where the host does all the work for you (upgrading OS, installing patches, and other maintenance) - usually not cheap.

Comment

Do you know of any good cheap managed dedicated servers then? Running Unix of course.

Comment

Believe me, we offer them ourself, but cheap + managed + good is nearly impossible.
                www.venturesonline.com provide very good support for their dedicated servers and they will assist you while you learn to manage the server. It's not managed, but they help you and it's the cheapest I can honestly recommend.

Comment

Do you know of any good cheap managed dedicated servers then? Running Unix of course.
                  www.nocster.com
                  http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                  http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                  http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=87191

GOOD DEAL that meets your requirements by pwebtech.

Comment

I have a dedicated server with www.racknine.com - it's a totally managed server, with great support, and cheap. You can contact Matt the boss if you wish at [email protected] if you want more information.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X