Linux vs Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux vs Windows

Well, I have seen this question being brought up a lot lately, so I thought I could as well start a poll about it. Feel free to say why you think one OS is better than the other when it comes to vBulletin hosting, and try not to say that the other OS is completely useless unless you've never tried it before.
    Windows 2000
    0.00%
    Linux
    100.00%

Linux is better supported since most of these server programs make it to Linux and are easily modified to adapt to Linux since it is completely open source. I'm not entirely sure about Windows, but I can run Linux without a GUI which saves a great deal of resources when I'm working on a machine that's somewhat old.

Comment

Well, I could still use some reasons. The reason why I was considering a Win2K server would be that I could run a game or two on it at the same time (non-linux compitable ones), but the forum comes first. I need to order the server before next friday though, so help me out.

Comment

Definitely Linux
        http://www.cyber.com.au/cyber/about/...comparison.pdf
        You're my Prince of Peace
        And I will live my life for You

Comment

On support issues, I see *significantly* more OS related problems with Windows servers than with Linux servers.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Linux.
            ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

I voted Linux, but I am still a big fan of Windows servers. I maintain and develop a number of sites (all PHP/MySQL based, including one vBulletin) on Windows 2000 servers and they work great. Windows offers a more rounded server function - whereas Linux has strong offerings in certain areas (eg web serving) and much weaker (or even no!) functions in others (eg file sharing to Windows networks or network logons).

I also maintain a network of approx 100 PC's with 4 servers running Windows 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS
                Linux has strong offerings in certain areas (eg web serving) and much weaker (or even no!) functions in others (eg file sharing to Windows networks or network logons).
                Just curious - why weak for file sharing?
                More than 10 years experience in building communities!
                Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X