Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on hosting heavely used board

Hi there,

Right know, I am temprarely running a board on Skyscrapers, Cities and Architecture, currently running at http://skyscrapercity.com.mantis.acceleratedweb.com. (called: SkyscraperCity.info) This server runs PHP through CGI which produces a lot of error when things get busy. I though I found a goof host at SWHU.com but after a bit of research, I found this one a wee bit too good to be true, a possible fraud from where I am standing.

I need about 150 gB a mont datatransfer so the obvious thing is looking for a dedicated host. Problem is, I don't have any experience with that, but I learn fast... What would you recommend on this one. Should I move to a (managed) dedicated host and if so, which one? Budget is around $300 per month.

Thanks,
    Jan

I think you will have a hard time finding a managed server with 150GB traffic for $300...
    More than 10 years experience in building communities!
    Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

Based on your requirements, I would say definitely get a "Managed" dedicated server. You need a host that is willing to help you get started so support is a definte requirement. Stay away from rackshack.net, they will not provide the support you are looking for. If you look around, there are a number of companies that can offer you a "managed" dedicated server.
      AlphaOmegaHosting.Com
      http://www.alphaomegahosting.com

Comment

Sterlet.net offers a dedicated solution for 299$ with 200Gb traffic.
        Ueli

Comment

Thanks for these so far people. I just found this one ยป http://www.autson.com/virtual.html which seems to be okay. Anyone got experience with them?
          Last edited by Jan Klerks; Tue 17 Sep '02, 11:03am.

Comment

For those who find this topic through search and have the same problem, here is my experience:

1.) I have found two hosts that do big load virtual hosting: Acceleratedweb and Autson. The first one runs PHP through CHI which will cause CGI overload errors when things get busy but if you forward this problem to their helpdesk they'll reroute your PHP through one of their dedicated servers which does indeed solve the problem. They got fast servers too. The second one is a bit slower (but acceptable) but it'll advice you straight away to get one of their manager dedicated servers (which is cheaper for you) and they'll move the whole thing for you too. Those dedicated servers are real easy! Just like being on a virtual one.

2.) When posting a question like this on these forums, be prepared to recieve all kind of hosting offers. Some of these posts are seriously trying to help you, some just offer you this 1gB a month for $2,99 packages, i.e. junk.

Comment

Hey Jan, Your right.. with 150 gb a month of forum traffic (or mostly forum traffic) you are definetely going to need a dedicated server. I resell dedicated servers for my customers, and have alot of experience tweaking for optimum forum/mysql/php operation. I have a few forums I host now, more out of a love for forums than profit motives.. please no advertising
              Last edited by George L; Mon 30 Sep '02, 7:57am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X