Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allowee
    replied
    I gotta tell that i used the hardware wich is fully supported.
    I also have a home computer with Suse 7.2 but my graphics card is not supported by XFree86 4.0.2

Leave a comment:

• RackNine
    replied
    hmm, you let me think of something.
    my dad has T-1 at his work and his is the boss so i could store the server there, and do the config with webmin.

my dad said YES, this weekend I'll install it the, the server is running at localhost now and i don't got any problems with php, mysql so far (perl still to come)
    allowee,

Congratulations! Managing both hardware and software for a server is a really rewarding experience which you'll certainly enjoy. This very activity got me started down the path to hosting almost 10 years ago now, when things are running you look at your box and take pride in your work

Sincerely,

-Matt

Leave a comment:

• allowee
    replied
    Originally posted by DBZFanCentral
    good luck. keep us posted
    ok, I installed perl, webmin, Proftpd and IPTABLES yesterday evening and had no problems thankz to pcmagazie.
    I also installed phpnuke to test php and MySQL and installed vBulletinLite to test or vBullletin would work.
    today I'll move my server to my dads office

Leave a comment:

• ccd1
    replied
    Originally posted by allowee
    my dad has T-1 at his work and his is the boss so i could store the server there, and do the config with webmin.

my dad said YES, this weekend I'll install it the, the server is running at localhost now and i don't got any problems with php, mysql so far (perl still to come)
    T-1 still isn't very fast, even the standard (most basic) aDSL package here has faster download speeds; but it's upload speeds we're concerned about.

Leave a comment:

• orca
    replied
    I use webmin on a local linux machine (not for public) but I'm not that happy with it at the mo. Not much at least. However, never used it to the cutting end...

Leave a comment:

• DBZFanCentral
    replied

good luck. keep us posted

Leave a comment:

• allowee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ccd1
    replied
    Did that. Once installed Linux and set up BIND, Apache and PHP and ran a small webserver off of a 128kbps connection.

Do the math, though.

128kbps
    -15% loss

That's around 110kbps.

Now, that's enough for two 56kbps users at a time, but most people these days have broadband and you're having them connect at speeds slower than ISDN (just one user at a time).

So get SDSL a much higher speed, or fractional T-1.

This is exactly why ISP's make aDSL into what it is. It's asynchronous for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Lorddraco98
    replied
    I'm now trying to set up a Linux server and put it on my ADSL router, i think 100Kb/s is enough for my site, if not i think people have to wait.
    I have a 30k upload and things are decent. Not for hosting vB though hehe. You should be ok with a small member base, but if you start getting larger and get a lot of posts, you're going to run into serious bandwith problems!

Leave a comment:

• allowee
    replied
    I'm now trying to set up a Linux server and put it on my ADSL router, i think 100Kb/s is enough for my site, if not i think people have to wait.

Leave a comment:

• Lorddraco98
    replied
    F5 hosting is good as well

Leave a comment:

• orca
    replied
    I'd also recommend http://www.venturesonline.com

Or Pm or email me if you don't need a hosting company.

Leave a comment:

• okrogius
    replied
    http://www.venturesonline.com/

Leave a comment:

• DBZFanCentral
    replied
    http://www.penhost.com/packages.php

http://www.myqth.com/

http://www.2mhost.com/2m/details.2m

Leave a comment:

• ccd1
    replied
    I don't see how age has anything to do with anything, but try www.venturesonline.com

One of their virtual host accounts is perfect for you if you mean that you need 100-500 MB of space and 1-10 GB of bandwidth.

When you order by credit card internationally, the currency is automatically converted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X