Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyIce
    replied
    I am with ventures online, they don't offer telnet unless you are on a vpn or dedicated server

Originally posted by JasonP
    Hi Guys,

I have to post to this too. I am currently with Ipowerweb.com
    I cannot say anything bad about them, the site is fast and the service on a scale of 1-10 would be about a 7-8. BUT, I am thinking HIGHLY of switching to Ventures Online for a couple of big reasons. I have had access to a control panel account over there and it is phenomenal!

With Ipowerweb for 7.95 month, I get plenty of mb (400), but I do not get any domain name forwarding, which I need as I own 4 more than the current one and they all go to the same site. I get NO ssh/telnet access, which I need for VB. And I cannot even change my password without them doing it for me. Now I am MSCE certified engineer and I know mainly what I am doing So I do not need someone to scratch my back for me on this stuff. So for the SAME price, you get a lot more features including SUB domains that I do not get with ipowerweb at venturesonline. But the only thing is for the 7.95 month at ventures you only get 20mb of hosting space. I am going to go with the 24.95 month plan most likely. I mean that is not bad at all with NO setup fee. So I think I will be changing before my 30 days is up with ipowerweb. I just need the extra features. But if you're a Newbie to these things and need someone to do it for you, then go with IPOWERWEB.

OH YEAH, another big thing at Ventures Online is this. You know that backup you do of your Sql database with VB? Well Click ONE button at Ventures Online and it reinstalls it FOR YOU!!! That is a big plus too. I just do not see where you could go wrong.

JasonP.

Leave a comment:

• corley
    replied
    Originally posted by alwaysweb

We are half-way through the transition of all our customer sites from the weaker RackShack's leased servers to an incredible new server farm , with 4 awesome machines (dual and QUAD 1.6 and 2.0Ghz CPUs, etc.). The new serfarm farm has full load-balancing, tons of disk space, full RAID5 redundancy, dual power supplies and scsi/raid cards, etc. for each machine. This farm will allow us to grow and continue to offer superior service long into the future. See link:
    how can loadbalancing shared webhosting accounts help ? do you keep the accounts on more then one server or what ?

Leave a comment:

• Brett Power
    replied
    iPowerWeb

I have been running VB on my domain for nearly a year now, and I have never used SSH/Telnet with it. For me, the control panel does the job. However, for those of you out there who are much more server-side knowledgable than I, you probably prefer to have SSH/Telnet access.

One of the tech support guys told me that they may be adding SSH/Telnet soon, but it is a long process because it has to go through a lot of people within the company. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The only con with iPowerWeb is that the max server space you can have is 500 megs. I am trying to talk them into changing that.

Later,
    Brett

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied
    Hi Guys,

I have to post to this too. I am currently with Ipowerweb.com
    I cannot say anything bad about them, the site is fast and the service on a scale of 1-10 would be about a 7-8. BUT, I am thinking HIGHLY of switching to Ventures Online for a couple of big reasons. I have had access to a control panel account over there and it is phenomenal!

With Ipowerweb for 7.95 month, I get plenty of mb (400), but I do not get any domain name forwarding, which I need as I own 4 more than the current one and they all go to the same site. I get NO ssh/telnet access, which I need for VB. And I cannot even change my password without them doing it for me. Now I am MSCE certified engineer and I know mainly what I am doing So I do not need someone to scratch my back for me on this stuff. So for the SAME price, you get a lot more features including SUB domains that I do not get with ipowerweb at venturesonline. But the only thing is for the 7.95 month at ventures you only get 20mb of hosting space. I am going to go with the 24.95 month plan most likely. I mean that is not bad at all with NO setup fee. So I think I will be changing before my 30 days is up with ipowerweb. I just need the extra features. But if you're a Newbie to these things and need someone to do it for you, then go with IPOWERWEB.

OH YEAH, another big thing at Ventures Online is this. You know that backup you do of your Sql database with VB? Well Click ONE button at Ventures Online and it reinstalls it FOR YOU!!! That is a big plus too. I just do not see where you could go wrong.

JasonP.

Leave a comment:

• Brett Power
    replied
    iPowerWeb

Originally posted by Truckingboards
    ipowerweb.com

15 GB for 7.95

Nuff said
    iPowerWeb now offers 30 GB traffic/month, still for 7.95 a month

-Brett

Leave a comment:

• alwaysweb
    replied
    Thanks Steve, I agree.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Note, my own testing of the CPanel backup and restore procedure shows that it is reliable with the 80Mb database I used for testing. However you will not be able to use phpMyAdmin to backup a database this large.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedStreet
    replied
    Mishkan, customers can use the the cpanel to can go to 'Backup' and click a link to initiate a download of the .sql backup for your database, or a tar backup of your whole site... Easy!

Or, you can use phpMyAdmin to initiate the backup (.sql dump) of the database there.

AWH also nightly completes a backup and transfer of all the mysql databases across a secure SSH tunnel to another server at a different physical location for safe, off-site storage.

:P

Leave a comment:

• alwaysweb
    replied
    Mishkan, customers can use the the cpanel to can go to 'Backup' and click a link to initiate a download of the .sql backup for your database, or a tar backup of your whole site... Easy!

Or, you can use phpMyAdmin to initiate the backup (.sql dump) of the database there.

AWH also nightly completes a backup and transfer of all the mysql databases across a secure SSH tunnel to another server at a different physical location for safe, off-site storage.

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    Originally posted by SpeedStreet
    To this point, I haven't had a need for shell access, and I am running a vb site.
    How do you backup your database?

Leave a comment:

• SpeedStreet
    replied
    To this point, I haven't had a need for shell access, and I am running a vb site.

Support has been top notch....and for shared hosting, a server load hovering consistently at .10 is not something to shake a stick at.

These guys have been awesome with helping me deal with issues that I've caused even myself. You won't find a better level of CS than with them.

PS: I am a customer and I can confirm that :P

Leave a comment:

• adrianchew
    replied
    Ronnie - no shell access = vB unfriendly host.

Leave a comment:

• alwaysweb
    replied
    Originally posted by Truckingboards
    I take it you work for always webhosting or something Walter, if so good luck to you, I myself was debating going there for my next site because of the rave reviews but when I saw them cut their packages in half without taking a cent off the cost I was sure that I made the right choice not to.[/B]
    Hi Jeff, Ronnie Moore here from www.AlwaysWebHosting.com . I am the founder and owner, and Walter is in no way affiliated with us, other than perhaps being a customer, which I cannot confirm nor deny.

I figured you would have at least searched a bit to determine why our prices had remained unchanged while the bandwidth was adjusted on our plans. Why?

We are half-way through the transition of all our customer sites from the weaker RackShack's leased servers to an incredible new server farm , with 4 awesome machines (dual and QUAD 1.6 and 2.0Ghz CPUs, etc.). The new serfarm farm has full load-balancing, tons of disk space, full RAID5 redundancy, dual power supplies and scsi/raid cards, etc. for each machine. This farm will allow us to grow and continue to offer superior service long into the future. See link:

http://forums.alwayswebhosting.com/s...p?threadid=638

The server farm is above-all the reason for the adjustments to our hosting plans. Check out the link, i'm sure you'll be impressed, if nothing else but from the price tag of the equipment at least! (not mentioned) haha!
    Last edited by alwaysweb; Fri 20 Sep '02, 10:42am.

Leave a comment:

• N9ne
    replied
    nocster.net

50GB transfer for $24 or something...

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by walter
    Jeff, I should have stated that earlier, but I own a small hosting company.
    To cut the bandwidth in half is a bad move for a host, but: their initial error was to offer too much for too little.
    exactly! "if you don't plan, you plan to fail"

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X