Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VbulletinHosting.com Is DONE.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VbulletinHosting.com Is DONE.

    Here is a message that I just received from Brian at VbulletinHosting.com:

    Well, it's been a rough month. I would like to start out by apologizing to everyone for the down time and unreliability that vBulletinHosting.com has been having of late. Unfortunately, we have been unable to provide the level of service that all of you deserve. vBulletinHosting.com is a great idea and I know there is a market for the service we have been providing but unfortunately, we can no longer provide it.

    Effective August 15, 2002, vBulletinHosting.com will be shutting down. It was not an easy decision and of course, you will not be billed for 15 days we will be up in August, the last invoice or receipt you received is the last one we will issue you for this service. If you need help retrieving your database between now and then, please send an email to [email protected].

    If you are an ASP customer and want to keep your board and move it to another host, you will need to purchase a license from vBulletin for the software. You can find the details for this at http://www.vbulletinhosting.com/vbulletin.html

    It is with sincere regret that we are having to close this service and we wish you all the best in building your communities. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us.

    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian Welch
    vBulletin Hosting
    http://www.vbulletinhosting.com

    ========================

    Regards,

    Theory

  • #2
    Yep, I got the same thing...I guess we knew it was coming.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: VbulletinHosting.com Is DONE.

      Originally posted by theory
      If you are an ASP customer and want to keep your board and move it to another host, you will need to purchase a license from vBulletin for the software. You can find the details for this at http://www.vbulletinhosting.com/vbulletin.html


      Thats just wrong, he's doing an affilate link to keep making money, even though he's going outa business... WTF?

      Comment


      • #4
        Yup I got that Too. Have one major problem though I cant get my database dumped becuase it keeps timing out. And they wont answer emails.

        Comment


        • #5
          Are you trying to dump from the command line or via phpMyAdmin? If you're using phpMyAdmin then I'd guve up and try doing it from the command line. If you don't have SSH access then you could most likely write a PHP script to execute mysqldump for you and leave you with a dumb of your DB that you can FTP down from your new host.
          Karl Austin
          UK Web Hosting and Servers :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
          Specialists in Custom Solutions

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Karl
            Are you trying to dump from the command line or via phpMyAdmin? If you're using phpMyAdmin then I'd guve up and try doing it from the command line. If you don't have SSH access then you could most likely write a PHP script to execute mysqldump for you and leave you with a dumb of your DB that you can FTP down from your new host.

            Even then that will be subject to timeouts...

            You should be able to download a DB dump from cpanel..

            If not, email the host asking for a database dump...

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes it would be subject to timeouts, but not as much so as phpMyAdmin as to be honest it's crap when it comes to dumping large databases, doing it from the command line is many times quicker.
              Karl Austin
              UK Web Hosting and Servers :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
              Specialists in Custom Solutions

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok I was able to get VBH to do a dump for me and I am up on my new server now. Thanks for the advice guys.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Too bad... Good luck to all thoes who have to change hosts, its a pain, as you probly already know
                  Bike Forums.net

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    steps for moving

                    Can some one outline to me what I should do to move my site back to my old host.

                    I'm making a copy of my site now but I know you have to do something special with vb.

                    I am by no means at the level as most posting here but I can follow directions well.

                    If there is a thread where this is outlined already I would appreciate being directed to it.

                    This is such a bummer.

                    --Laureen

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: steps for moving

                      Originally posted by Laureen
                      Can some one outline to me what I should do to move my site back to my old host.

                      I'm making a copy of my site now but I know you have to do something special with vb.

                      I am by no means at the level as most posting here but I can follow directions well.

                      If there is a thread where this is outlined already I would appreciate being directed to it.

                      This is such a bummer.

                      --Laureen

                      I'll assume you have your own vb license...

                      Download all files from vbulletin hosting to your local computer...

                      Email vbulletin hosting and ask for a database dump from your forum.. Depending on the size of your site, this could be fairly large...

                      Now, upload your site files from your computer to your new host, and also upload the database dump to the new host...

                      Email your new host and ask them to add the contents of your mysql dump to a new database on your server.. Any decent host will be happy to help you out with that....


                      You may need to update your config.php with a new mysql username, password, and database...

                      After that, change your name servers for your domain to point to your new host....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I have my own liscence. Is there a way to do the dump without the host doing it? I vaguely remember doing this with a program I downloaded called SSH Secure Shell some time back. (I'm sure I'm looking real dumb right now )

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Laureen
                          Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I have my own liscence. Is there a way to do the dump without the host doing it? I vaguely remember doing this with a program I downloaded called SSH Secure Shell some time back. (I'm sure I'm looking real dumb right now )
                          Yes, if you have SSH on both hosts, you can just follow these directions:
                          http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

                          But I'm not sure if vbulletin hosting provided shell access..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Karl
                            Yes it would be subject to timeouts, but not as much so as phpMyAdmin as to be honest it's crap when it comes to dumping large databases, doing it from the command line is many times quicker.
                            Even on my tiny forum database it fails...I had to move the db one table at a time when I switched hosts once, it was a nightmare
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              how long did it take you to get VBH to dump your DB tony?? I have emailed them 3 times in the past 2 hours and nothing yet. And of course calling doesn't get you anywhere either..

                              I have everything on VO setup and just waiting for the database to be imported on there..

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X