Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managed Dedicated with 400GB Bandwidth under $120.00?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walter

But that's what she was asking for.

And it was what I wanted at first, till I realized the cost and I realized that with a little reading and learning I could save a bundle. I'm just giving options.

Thanks for the comment though.

Josh

Comment

Hi again everyone . . .
      Thankx and many many thankx.
      I realize now that there is no "managed" didcated server for the kind of price range I had in mind. But, can anyone point me to a good book that they might have read that has helped them with running their own dedicated server? Kind of book that explains the basics on "how-to" run your own dedicated server remotely, or how to do update security updates and such (basic, and important things you need to know about managing a dedicated server).
      That would really be very helpful for me and for others who are thinking about signing up for a dedicated server and who have no idea on how to run one.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

Comment

Books are obsolete, just surf around the internet

Comment

Surfing the internet won't do you any good unless you have a specific topic to look for.

Check out this site : http://forum.rackshack.net

Even though you might no go with Rackshack (they are the least managed), you can always read how to upgrade stuff and generally ask questions (you might not want to mention that you're not a Rackshack customer though).

Since you are new to this, I would go with a server with Ensim on it. It gets a lot of bad reviews from people but to tell you the truth, I've never had a problem. The only glitch with Ensim is that you cannot upgrade certain things, but again, no problems here.

Do you have that high volume of a site that you need a dedicated server? If I might ask, what sent you the dedicated server route anyway?

PM or Email me if you have any questions, for I was in your shoes a while ago.

Josh

Comment

Looking for a reliable host.

I am not too concerned with finding a dedicated host which
            seems to be everywhere but a "RELIABLE" host with minimal
            downtime.

Since I went with vbulletinhosting.com I have had 3 days uptime
            and 14 days down and still down. I think they have went under or
            are ignoring all emails and phone calls.

Here is my list of potential new hosts:

http://www.interland.com
            http://www.zeonhost.com
            http://www.venturesonline.com
            http://www.racknine.com
            http://www.rackshack.net

Even though Interland is the most expensive I am leaning
            towards them because the guy actually called me today after I
            left a VM late last night. He tells me they are the largest
            dedicated host with over 7,000 customers based out of Atlanta.

I got this company referred to me by the admin from rapmusic.com
            which runs about 350 concurrent users on his vbulletin.com at
            all times.

Anyone had any experience with this company or any of the
            others listed above. I have a high traffic volume site with about
            100 concurrent peak users during the day.

I am willing to spend at the max 130.00 / month for a 'reliable' host.

-Theory

Comment

Just out of curiousity, where on Interland do you see the kind of package you are talking about for $130 with 100 concurrent connections?

I don't see anything close to what you're talking about.

Josh

Comment

So which is better in your opinion?

...those of you who have experience with this, which is better for a beginner?

Plesk

or

Enzim

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by JoshFink
                  Surfing the internet won't do you any good unless you have a specific topic to look for.

Check out this site : http://forum.rackshack.net

Even though you might no go with Rackshack (they are the least managed), you can always read how to upgrade stuff and generally ask questions (you might not want to mention that you're not a Rackshack customer though).

Since you are new to this, I would go with a server with Ensim on it. It gets a lot of bad reviews from people but to tell you the truth, I've never had a problem. The only glitch with Ensim is that you cannot upgrade certain things, but again, no problems here.

Do you have that high volume of a site that you need a dedicated server? If I might ask, what sent you the dedicated server route anyway?

PM or Email me if you have any questions, for I was in your shoes a while ago.

Josh
                  Great post - I agree! RackShack's support forum is full of some very knowledgeable people. I have yet to have a question they can't answer! Also, RackShack's Chat is extremely fast and handy for asking simple questions, like Telnet commands, software questions, etc. I dont' know what I would do without them!

Just out of curiousity, where on Interland do you see the kind of package you are talking about for $130 with 100 concurrent connections?
                  I think he's talking about their Value Packages (although you could get a server twice as fast with 26 times more bandwidth at RackShack, for $30 less per month!).

Comment

Re: So which is better in your opinion?

Originally posted by ABLady
                    ...those of you who have experience with this, which is better for a beginner?

Plesk

or

Enzim
                    Although I don't remember the specific reasons why now, I picked Ensim, and found it very easy to use with virtually no experience. To setup a new site on my server, all I do is enter the site information (domain name, available bandwidth, disk space, etc.), save the site, and then go to RackShack's member area and submit the new entry into their DNS servers. It's pretty simple!

You can try out both Plesk and Ensim if you'd like. Click here to try out Ensim, and click here for a Plesk demo (username: admin / password: plesk).

Comment

I wound up with Ensim by the luck of the draw and it has worked very well so far. With a little tweak here and a little teak there, everything I've wanted to do, I have been able to.

Josh

Comment

Interland .. and Ensim

Hi,

I have been with Interland for a year now .. and with the companies that Interland bought out for 2 years ... I use the Freedom line of servers and have found them to be very reliable and flexible though they are more expensive than most shared plans ... but they are much less expensive than most dedicated plans and I have had a total of 30 minutes down time in 2 years
                        . I don't know about the other shared plans, but the Freedom plans are cool ...

I have been considering an Ensim-based server from Rackshack to supplement my offerings ... I have done some work for a client who has an Ensim-based server and the panel is very nice and functional .. a few things I find worrisome about them:
                        1) They are slow with security updates ... for example, the latest Apache hole, a major problem .. took Ensim several weeks to release a patch.
                        2) Upgrading software on your own can be tricky because they have customized aspects of the kernel, apache, and a few other
                        packages .. so upgrading without carefully reading the Ensim docs can break your system .. which is a worry if you know how to patch a hole but can't because it will break the control panel .. on the other hand, if the hole is that serious users might understand the CP being down .. but then that requires an admin who knows command-line admin.

So ... first I think the Freedom servers are very stable and very reliable and a good bet for someone with a reasonable budget but not much admin experience .

I actually would not recommend an Ensim dedicated server that isn't managed to someone who does not have relatively strong admin skills .. I know that the previous poster said he has not had problems but I think he has some luck .. the client I was working with was broken into within a month of having the server because he didn't know any admin, didn't apply patches when they were available ... he thought it would be easy because of the CP ... my point being that having a web-based control panel can deceive some people into thinking they can take on more than they might be ready to handle ... e.g. a trial by fire situation with a BIG fire!

Just my opinions

Comment

You might want to take a look at this thread.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=fastservers

They dont really offer FULLY MANAGED server, but it might be enough.

I have been looking at this company for a while when i was doing a research for company based in HE datacenters. At that time, their shared hosting package is so expensive. With this new offer, i wondered how they managed to offer so much bandwidth. Then i realised they increased their allocated bandwidth for their hosting packages and www.www-hosting.net also did the same around 2 months back. This might means HE dropped their pricing or something.

Really tempted to get a server although i dont really need it. Any 3 person willing to share

Comment

ABLady,
                            If you happen to get an unmanaged server from wherever, I will be happy to help/teach you along the way with your server as part of a public service I am doing to work towards a business grant proposal. I currently own and operate a web hosting company(I don't lease dedicated servers atm so I can not help you there) and am very experinced in the administration of Linux and BSD based Operating systems and managment.

If you would like my help managing your server(free of charge) feel free to email me at [email protected]
                            Last edited by frozen; Fri 16 Aug '02, 11:26pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X