Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    that's still a lot of traffic for a V100 server.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Also 71 is not simultaneous users in the same second all accessing MySQL at the same time, it is over a 15 minute spread. You could have 10 simultaneous connections to MySQL (or even less) and still have 71 concurrent users.

Leave a comment:

• jookido
    replied
    Originally posted by Jakeman
    71 simultaneous users is a lot. i'm thinking your site is just too busy. consider the server you're on... there are more than 300 other people sharing it with you. i used to be on a split dedi server with VO (866 P3, 512 RAM, IDE drive). my server partner's site would get up to 100 users sometimes and i could feel my site bogging. that was 100 users on a dedicated server (a weak one, but still dedi). you have 71 simul users on a shared server with 300 other people.
    Jake, 71 is the "record". I hit that Feb 1st and have not gone near it since. If 71 simultaneous users was a typical daily average, then I'd agree that a shared account would not be enough.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    71 simultaneous users is a lot. i'm thinking your site is just too busy. consider the server you're on... there are more than 300 other people sharing it with you. i used to be on a split dedi server with VO (866 P3, 512 RAM, IDE drive). my server partner's site would get up to 100 users sometimes and i could feel my site bogging. that was 100 users on a dedicated server (a weak one, but still dedi). you have 71 simul users on a shared server with 300 other people.
    Last edited by Jake Bunce; Wed 19 Jun '02, 12:06am.

Leave a comment:

• jookido
    replied
    Originally posted by PlurPlanet
    Yea, from what I read VO only allows 45 MySQL connections at one time. Their hosting service may be a little cheaper than vBulletinhosting, but it really doesn't do me any good if not many people can connect. Either way I got an email from vBulletinhosting saying they were experiencing a lot of problems over the last few days and that ammount of downtime was not the norm with them. They're even giving everyone a discount off the next months bill, so I think I will stick with them for a little longer.
    Just FYI, my "abusive" account at VO has hit the 45 MySQL connection limit ~5 times in the last several months. With pconnect off, you can handle a lot more. My "vB record" is 71 simultaneous users and I'm not even sure I hit the 45 MySQL user limit that day. You'd need 45 users querying the db within the same 1-2 seconds for there to be a problem.

VO's uptime has been phenomenal, and their customer support is nothing short of amazing. I'm a night owl and tickets answered at 5am is not an unusual occurence. They've been juggling their servers around a lot, but they take care of them fairly quickly. All my non-vB sites are staying on VO and I'm still going to recommend them to others for non-vB sites. Just want to set the record straight for those that presume I'm here to bash and badmouth VO.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L.
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    That is not accurate. 300 accounts on a server is part of the problem.
    300 accounts is very low for a shared server with the specs we have. Now is it low for 300 Vb boards more than likey not but not all our accounts run VB.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul L.
    we are not setting any guide lines based on hits alone.
    oh dang, this whole argument was just defeated.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L.
    replied
    Tube I understand what you’re saying but please read all of what I have said, we are not setting any guide lines based on hits alone.

And the email sent to the people said for abusive cpu usage.
    And we like to give people as much data as possible when telling them they have to move and the hits stats are part of that data.

I have talked to the people that have told people its based on hits alone and that will be corrected because that was a mistake because its not, its based on cpu time.

We can’t set any guide lines on just hits and wont because as said before it may only take getting 4 real abusive people off a server for it to be back to normal loads.

Not one person contacted have had only 500,000 hits or even 1,000,000 hits most all are 3,000,000 hits and above.
    And untill we get theses taken care of there can not be any set guide lines because we do not have correct data to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    ok, like, this thread is about vbulletinhosting.com

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    there are a few things that can be done yes but nothing more than we do today as well or 99 % of the other hosts out there do.
    That is not accurate. 300 accounts on a server is part of the problem. Yes, that maybe industry standard or maybe even low, for running smaller static websites, nor for running dynamic websites with message boards. That is the first thing. The second is MySQL and PHP optimization, which is not done by anything approaching 99% of the web hosts. I don't know personally about VO, but I do know that many many hosts have MySQL installed but barely even know what it is, let alone have it optimized. That's #2. Between these two, servers can run much more efficiently (i.e. lower load) and handle more requests.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    I think that what you (VO) need to clear up is exactly what is going to get a user kicked off. When someone (Juju) contacts Pat and Steve and is told flat out that 500,000 hits, a hit being a line in the server log, is the limit, obviously some people in the company are under the impression this is the case. You need to get your stories straight and email all your clients with this, not just those you intend to kick off. I'm not trying to tell you how to run your company but when you start sending emails to certain people, you have to assume they will leak and prepare accordingly.

Regarding the 45 user limit, that is not unreasonable. I would like to point out here that this is very reasonable based on most shared hosting. What I find to be unreasonable is the fact that the user could come in well under that limit and still be "abusing" server resources based on what has been said by two VO staffers to be a hit limit; hits are not a realisitic portrayal of actual server resource usage, especially when you are counting hits as each line in a log regardless of whether it's 302 unchanged or an image that's part of a page or whatever. Six million hits is excessive for shared hosting. Half a million is not. That works out to ~16,000 per day which given even a low average of 20 "hits" per page view still works out to only 800 page views. 80 visitors could exceed that in an hour with only 10 page views each, without coming near the 45 user limit on MySQL or even remotely jeopardizing server resources.
    Last edited by tubedogg; Tue 18 Jun '02, 10:55pm.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L.
    replied

The 45 limit means that more than 45 people cannont be on the message board at one time, correct? I would guess that my board is a little more active than the average one, but I would break that limit just about every day.

Couldn't really tell ya. I do know however that their servers are specifically geared to run vBulletin forums, so that may be why they don't seem to be having too many problems. They're prices are also a bit higher than yours.

No It dose not mean you can only have 45 people on your board. It means you can only have 45 people opening a mysql connection at any given time for that fact you could have 200 people on your board and with 155 sitting there reading posts and 45 opening new posts every sec.

As far as servers being specifically geared to run vBulletin forums there are a few things that can be done yes but nothing more than we do today as well or 99 % of the other hosts out there do.

I am sorry that I pointed you out this may have been wrong and please forgive me but it shows what we are dealing with.

Some of the people we contacted said they had allready been kicked off other hosts for the same thing but still was trying to use our servers in hopes we would allow it and I have to say they was very undestanding of the issue.
    Last edited by Paul L.; Tue 18 Jun '02, 10:47pm.

Leave a comment:

• vBadvanced
    replied
    Here is good case of this issue now we host many VBs and very few users ever hit that 45 limit. But you are saying you need more and still want to pay $30 a month?
    The 45 limit means that more than 45 people cannont be on the message board at one time, correct? I would guess that my board is a little more active than the average one, but I would break that limit just about every day.

I am sure vBulletinhosting will have lots of problems with loads if they do not set some limit because you cant give away a whole server for $30 per month.
    Couldn't really tell ya. I do know however that their servers are specifically geared to run vBulletin forums, so that may be why they don't seem to be having too many problems. They're prices are also a bit higher than yours.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L.
    replied
    Yea, from what I read VO only allows 45 MySQL connections at one time. Their hosting service may be a little cheaper than vBulletinhosting, but it really doesn't do me any good if not many people can connect. Either way I got an email from vBulletinhosting saying they were experiencing a lot of problems over the last few days and that ammount of downtime was not the norm with them. They're even giving everyone a discount off the next months bill, so I think I will stick with them for a little longer.

Here is good case of this issue now we host many VBs and very few users ever hit that 45 limit. But you are saying you need more and still want to pay $30 a month?

I am sure vBulletinhosting will have lots of problems with loads if they do not set some limit because you cant give away a whole server for $30 per month.

Leave a comment:

• vBadvanced
    replied

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X