Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin Hosting (Sorry, now out-of-business)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CharlesM.........I just received an email from Brian Welch at vbulletinhosting.com that they will be discontinuing all service as of August 15th. In other words, they are going out of business. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Scherzer
      I just received an email from Brian Welch at vbulletinhosting.com that they will be discontinuing all service as of August 15th. In other words, they are going out of business. End of story.
      Wow.
      That was a short life for a company. Any word from vBulletin itself?
      More than 10 years experience in building communities!
      Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

Was with them a few months. They sucked from the beginning. Thankfully, I got fed up and moved everything last week. What timing!

-----
        Well, it's been a rough month. I would like to start out by apologizing to
        everyone for the down time and unreliability that vBulletinHosting.com has
        been having of late. Unfortunately, we have been unable to provide the
        level of service that all of you deserve. vBulletinHosting.com is a great
        idea and I know there is a market for the service we have been providing
        but unfortunately, we can no longer provide it.

Effective August 15, 2002, vBulletinHosting.com will be shutting down. It
        was not an easy decision and of course, you will not be billed for 15 days
        we will be up in August, the last invoice or receipt you received is the
        last one we will issue you for this service. If you need help retrieving
        your database between now and then, please send an email to
        [email protected].

If you are an ASP customer and want to keep your board and move it to
        another host, you will need to purchase a license from vBulletin for the
        software. You can find the details for this at
        http://www.vbulletinhosting.com/vbulletin.html

It is with sincere regret that we are having to close this service and we
        wish you all the best in building your communities. If you have any
        questions, don't hesitate to email us.

Thanks
        Brian

Brian Welch
        vBulletin Hosting
        http://www.vbulletinhosting.com

Comment

We will let you know some more information when it is available to us. I would like to offer sincere apologies to any inconvenience caused, and we will be seeking to provide alternatives as soon as possible.

John
          John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

Geeez

Since the beginning we had great E-mail replies and forum replies here from the people behind it. I had such a faith in it, and especially since they teamed up with Jelsoft. I even applied for affiliation and was saving money to transfer my accounts to their hosting.

But from the beginning on, I had several E-mails from people who followed the affiliate link and ended up with a 404 or some error or currently no new clients messages. This was losing income from the start up I guess. But ok, there were just a few. (But still).

I didn't even get notified through E-mail that the services stopped. I just noticed it because the banner didn't work in my links site no more. Such a shame! I hope there is a good reason. Because this was reaaally short.

Comment

Adrift!

I used to have a board on another (so called "Easy" board) service, but saw some great VBB systems, so I decided to switch. The officially-sanctioned hosting option looked awesome, especially since it was completely offsite, no muss, no fuss. Setup was easy, and the community is bustling (12,000 posts a month), but downtime has been a constant problem, and now I have eleven days to find a new host.

This is all the more daunting because I have no clue how to do things like copy the database. Since the whole deal (including the software license) was provided turn-key for my monthly fee, I have had no reason to learn any of the technical aspects of the behind-the-scenes workings of a vBulletin system.

If anyone would like to recommend a good hosting service -- especially for those of us who don't do PHP script programming or anything else very technical -- I'm open to suggestions. Reply to me by e-mail if you'd rather not clog up this thread.

Overall, I think the authorized/dedicated VBB host service is a terrific idea, and I think there's still a business opportunity out there. I'm pretty bummed it turned out this way, and I am very concerned my board will be going lights out before I can figure out how to transfer it to someplace with a future.

--Dan
              Mach V Motorsports
              Our forums (at least for another 11 days)
              Last edited by Mach V Dan; Sun 4 Aug '02, 6:21pm.

Comment

I don't feel so bad

I thought I had problems with my two month old, forty member, four hundred post board. You've got a mover and a shaker. I decided to purchase a license from vbulletin and rackine as my host. I purchased the installation from vBulletin but have yet to have it installed. Kevin Eng has provided terrific support at racknine. I don't think he sleeps. Turnaround is very fast.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to request a database dump. I feel my database is corrupt enough to warrant starting from scratch. I don't know if it's corrupted from the servers going down so often, a php upgrade or some other factor but I've lost quite a bit of functionality in the control panel. Lots of 1064 errors. I've tried to backup the database but it said I didn't have permission to write to the server. So I've saved all the pages and I think I'll link to them when the new board goes online.

If I were you I'd buy a license, get a host and a domain name ASAP. Once your domain is set, send out bulk email notifying members of your new home. Make sure you can get the db dump and shut the present board off with a notice of redirect. I think a few days offline is better than lost posts. Good Luck.

Our new home will be www.cfifloorums.com at racknine.
                Last edited by cfifloorums; Sun 4 Aug '02, 8:55pm.
                The CFI Floorums
                Message Board Forums to Serve the Floor Covering Community

Comment

Re: I don't feel so bad

Originally posted by cfifloorums
                  I thought I had problems with my two month old, forty member, four hundred post board. You've got a mover and a shaker. I decided to purchase a license from vbulletin and rackine as my host. I purchased the installation from vBulletin but have yet to have it installed. Kevin Eng has provided terrific support at racknine. I don't think he sleeps. Turnaround is very fast.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to request a database dump. I feel my database is corrupt enough to warrant starting from scratch. I don't know if it's corrupted from the servers going down so often, a php upgrade or some other factor but I've lost quite a bit of functionality in the control panel. Lots of 1064 errors. I've tried to backup the database but it said I didn't have permission to write to the server. So I've saved all the pages and I think I'll link to them when the new board goes online.

If I were you I'd buy a license, get a host and a domain name ASAP. Once your domain is set, send out bulk email notifying members of your new home. Make sure you can get the db dump and shut the present board off with a notice of redirect. I think a few days offline is better than lost posts. Good Luck.

Our new home will be www.cfifloorums.com at racknine.
                  Try checking out this thread regarding the 1064 errors and see if that describes what your problem is

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=50098

Comment

Thanx marc49

I read that thread previously and sent vBhosting an email asking them to eliminate an upgrade as a fix. No reply and the ASP lease option is very limited. I'm left to wonder why a host that was going OofB would make a php software upgrade, but then again I don't see them trashing all the hardware either. I suppose they will probably open up under another name. Anyway I can't say for sure that the new release 2.2.6 will fix the problem on the old 2.2.5 database. My site is still small enough that to start over wouldn't be the end of the world.
                    The CFI Floorums
                    Message Board Forums to Serve the Floor Covering Community

Comment

To a Moderator:

I just wasted reading this multi-page topic for hosting. Now that I have reached the last page I find the company is out of business.

Please edit the topic title to reflect the out-of-business status (or close the thread and move the follow up replies to another topic).

Meanwhile, I am back to looking for another host.

David

DAVID COPELAND
                      Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
                      Celebrating 20 Years with VB

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X