HostAtom? What's the consensus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HostAtom? What's the consensus?

I'm looking at HostAtom to switch to after recently screwing up and signing up with Liquidweb.

Anyone had experience with them?

I know Kevin hangs around here- seems to be a good guy.

Nelson
    Nelson
    www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Tried them- never again. Their servers run like crap, I paid for a whole year, things didn't work, and he kept all the money and wouldn't refund any.
    You wouldn't believe the emails this guy sent. Beware.

Nelson
    Nelson
    www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Comment

why pay a year up front for hosting, when you don't know what the service is like?
      My Site: INFJs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deathjam View Post
        why pay a year up front for hosting, when you don't know what the service is like?
        Saving some dollars was far more important than reading the TOS, and understanding that lump-sum payments are non-refundable.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Honestly, I think its kind of shady that paying in advance for a service the cost cannot be refunded. The honest answer is that you can generally charge them back on your credit card.

But you should be far more careful int he future, never pay for webhosting more than 2-3 months in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
            Saving some dollars was far more important than reading the TOS, and understanding that lump-sum payments are non-refundable.
            TOS? Most places refund payments when they are at fault. He was clearly at fault, and his own TOS specify that he has to give a refund when he cannot perform, not to mention fundamental principles of contract law.

We are with a new host now, Knownhost.com. same exact site, same configuration, NO problems. Wonder why that is? I think the answer should be simple:

REMOVED PERSONAL INSULTS

Don't believe me? Give him a try, but do it MONTH by MONTH that way he can't keep your money when he screws up. And when you and your site get messed over, don't say I didn't try to warn you!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            Honestly, I think its kind of shady that paying in advance for a service the cost cannot be refunded. The honest answer is that you can generally charge them back on your credit card.

But you should be far more careful int he future, never pay for webhosting more than 2-3 months in advance.
            Zachery,

Of course it's shady, especially when their web site says "we don't like to bind anyone to a yearly contract- so you are ONLY required to pay on a month by month basis". Lally could have refunded HALF my money, and kept half as a penalty for my stupidity, and that would have been enough. Instead, he chose to keep it ALL. That says a lot about him. Then there is the fact that he blamed our site for the problems, instead of his crap server. We just moved the entire same configuration to KnownHost.com as per Wayne's suggestion, and I haven't had one darn problem, nor have I been told any garbage about the "chat box" causing errors. That was just a line of baloney Keven handed me to justify why his server didn't perform as it should have. If you go to the page for the chat box modification in VBulletin.org, no one ever complains about it causing numerous errors and taking the server down- that is ridiculous. But hey, live and learn Nelson! Next time I don't pay a year in advance (which I did so I wouldn't have to worry about it because I have plenty on my plate already), I don't join a service where the owner solicits me in a PM on here, I check how long the company is in business (HostAtom is in business only a year and a half), and I check where they operate out of (HostAtom operates out of a PO Box address). Our money is gone- I didn't use a credit card (I used PayPal) so there are no chargebacks> I posted because maybe I can save someone else from getting stuck like we did.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Allthumbz View Post
            I'm looking at HostAtom to switch to after recently screwing up and signing up with Liquidweb.

Anyone had experience with them?

I know Kevin hangs around here- seems to be a good guy.

Nelson

NOTE!! When :LiquidWeb heard I was dissatisfied, they returned every dollar pursuant to their 30-day guarantee. They are honest to deal with!
            Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Wed 30 May '12, 11:14pm. Reason: Removed personal insults
            Nelson
            www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Comment

PayPal does allow Disputes, it's no longer a simple web form w/ submit and await a reply however and you must print and fill out a form, then mail it in last time I checked, look into that! Also a quick tip... If you have a American Express card use it, even if it's your primary payment source tied into PayPal because American Express sides with their customers and you receive a refund 99.9% of the time if within reason .
              Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Wed 30 May '12, 1:13pm.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
              Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
              Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

Which plan are you on at knownhost? I ask because all their plans have more ram then you had with us...except of course the level 1.

Could this be the reason why it is working now and not before?

Kevin
                HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
                Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2297713

Allthumbz/KevinL - Can I draw your attention to the above where a staff member has asked you kindly to discontinue this dispute on here. Given that you both wish to continue this, I'm not asking you to stop this, I'm telling you to stop this otherwise further action regarding posting rights will be taken.
                  Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                  -
                  *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                  - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                  - "Quick Route" Interface...
                  - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X