Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need New Hosting - 2,000 users; Currently on Liquid Web

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need New Hosting - 2,000 users; Currently on Liquid Web

    I am running a 4.1.10 vbulletin forum. We have about 2,000 members of which about 1,000 are active every day. Our database is fairly large at just under 1gb. We started off the forum on Rochen hosting, but grew too large for their shared plans and didn't want to break the bank on a VPS solution with them. We ended up moving to Liquid Web. We have had a generally crappy experience with them. Our bandwidth, while mostly normal with Rochen, almost tripled in our first month with Liquid Web. This caused us to have to upgrade to their high end shared hosting service. That ended up not being enough and we upgraded once again to a VPS. I thought this would solve our problems, but it has not.

    We recently upgrade to 4.1.10 and have had many issues ever since. Our server load, as monitored on the Liquid Web dashboard, jumps to extremely high levels (15+) about once every other day. This causes the server to lock up and throws out database errors to users. We've had discussions with LW support, and they have always pinpointed several issues. Number of client connections being high, memory limits being too low, and various .php functions using lots of resources(showthread and forumdisplay off the top of my head.) We had them increase our client connections and decrease our memory limit, but this didn't help things much.

    I need a reliable host. I can't stand going away from my computer because I'm worried that our server load will spike unexpectedly and I'll be unable to restore service to my users.

    I'm seriously looking at urljet, but I'm worried that once we exceed the limits on the largest shared hosting package, that we will automatically be in the $150 hosting range for a VPS through them. We currently pay $60 and don't want to go above $100 if at all possible.

    Any suggestions?

  • #2
    Personally I think you will be struggling to host 1000 active users on a vps for $60 month, url jet are good but expensive at over $100 for vps starter package and that has low specs eg ram 512mb. There are loads of hosting possibilities suggested on here if you do some searching. A host that lots of people recommend including myself and if you don't mind hosting in the Uk are www.nimbushosting.co.uk there vps prices are competative, hardware is top notch and customer service is the best you will get. check them out.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by donald1234 View Post
      Personally I think you will be struggling to host 1000 active users on a vps for $60 month, url jet are good but expensive at over $100 for vps starter package and that has low specs eg ram 512mb. There are loads of hosting possibilities suggested on here if you do some searching. A host that lots of people recommend including myself and if you don't mind hosting in the Uk are www.nimbushosting.co.uk there vps prices are competative, hardware is top notch and customer service is the best you will get. check them out.
      Thanks, Donald. I have seen really good things about nimbushosting, but as our members are all based in the US, I worry about how this would work. Can any other mid-size forum owners chime in on their experiences with a US site on nimbus hosting?

      Comment


      • #4
        I have been with liquid web for about six years and would not even think about moving to another host! Sounds like you need to move up to a better server not a different host. Go with liquid web's entry level dedicated server. They will move your site over for free to! Might be a little more then what you want to pay, but in the long run well worth it!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wtwest View Post
          Thanks, Donald. I have seen really good things about nimbushosting, but as our members are all based in the US, I worry about how this would work. Can any other mid-size forum owners chime in on their experiences with a US site on nimbus hosting?
          They do have international clients.

          Drop Tim an email via their site, if you ask him he may be able to provide examples of international sites they host.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

          TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

          Comment


          • #6
            I understand you had some not so pleasant experience with Liquidweb, but honestly I don't think you can blame the host for it. When you have a VPS of certain configuration, it is likely to to perform more or less same, everywhere irrespective of the host. If a Liquidweb VPS is not going to be enough, you will need a better server, irrespective of the host.

            There are optimizations you can do, plugins could be the main culprit in most cases. But there is a limit to which the host can help you. Your solution is most probably getting a better VPS, with 1 GB plus RAM. Wiredtree is a good VPS host, if you are interested. URLJet seems like the best option considering you may want the host to offer you a complete solution, but they are expensive.
            Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

            Comment


            • #7
              I am super happy with and won't be moving from ServInt. I have a Signature VPS @U$89.00 p/m running v4.1.x on nginx that serves between 700 and 1000 users each 24 hour period. Check them out, they are very good.
              vBulletin Owner since 2002!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wtwest View Post
                We ended up moving to Liquid Web. We have had a generally crappy experience with them. Our bandwidth, while mostly normal with Rochen, almost tripled in our first month with Liquid Web. This caused us to have to upgrade to their high end shared hosting service. That ended up not being enough and we upgraded once again to a VPS. I thought this would solve our problems, but it has not.
                I am very sorry to hear that. I would like to look into your account and see what the problem is. What is your host name or a ticket number so that I may investigate these issues for you?

                Thank you,

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by liquidwebtravis View Post
                  I am very sorry to hear that. I would like to look into your account and see what the problem is. What is your host name or a ticket number so that I may investigate these issues for you?

                  Thank you,
                  Wow! See this is one reason why I love Liquid Web and would never move to another host!

                  Travis you guys are awesome, thank you!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am happy with My vbulletin forum is current hosted by mmhosting, my forum is a big community..but no problem with mmhosting so far
                    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 2 Apr '12, 9:07am. Reason: Affiliate links removed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      I have been with liquid web for about six years and would not even think about moving to another host! Sounds like you need to move up to a better server not a different host. Go with liquid web's entry level dedicated server. They will move your site over for free to! Might be a little more then what you want to pay, but in the long run well worth it!

                      I want to warn you about something with LIQUIDWEB.

                      I signed up with them, their PHP Maximum file download size is ONLY 2M. And they will NOT change it!
                      So if you have DownloadsII installed, your users cannot upload anything larger than 2M, which is VERY small.

                      It sucks! And they want to sell you a smartserver for $60 in order to get the limit lifted!

                      Nelson
                      Nelson
                      www.Hobby-Machinist.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by liquidwebtravis View Post
                        I am very sorry to hear that. I would like to look into your account and see what the problem is. What is your host name or a ticket number so that I may investigate these issues for you?

                        Thank you,

                        I want to warn you about something with LIQUIDWEB.

                        I signed up with them, their PHP Maximum file download size is ONLY 2M. And they will NOT change it!
                        So if you have DownloadsII installed, your users cannot upload anything larger than 2M, which is VERY small.

                        It sucks! And they want to sell you a smartserver for $60 in order to get the limit lifted!

                        Nelson
                        Nelson
                        www.Hobby-Machinist.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by alemcherry View Post
                          I understand you had some not so pleasant experience with Liquidweb, but honestly I don't think you can blame the host for it. When you have a VPS of certain configuration, it is likely to to perform more or less same, everywhere irrespective of the host. If a Liquidweb VPS is not going to be enough, you will need a better server, irrespective of the host.

                          There are optimizations you can do, plugins could be the main culprit in most cases. But there is a limit to which the host can help you. Your solution is most probably getting a better VPS, with 1 GB plus RAM. Wiredtree is a good VPS host, if you are interested. URLJet seems like the best option considering you may want the host to offer you a complete solution, but they are expensive.

                          When they impose a global 2M PHP Maximum filesize- and refuse to change that- it is impossible to run DownloadsII on a forum where people want to upload machinery manuals for each other to share and enjoy. 2M is ridiculous, and they could easily upgrade it to 10M or 20M, but refuse to do so. Their site says that these settings are "just for reference" and you can contact the Administrator for adjustments, but that is untrue- the 2M is written in stone.

                          So now, after JUST moving to their Pro shared account, they want me to pay $60 a month to a smartserver to get the 2M limit raised.
                          I need a shared server that allows this - 10M or 20M PHP max filesize limit on a shared server.
                          We have 2500 users and not more than 100 at a time. It is a small, non-profit hobby site- I can't afford to pay $100 a month for the web server.

                          Nelson
                          Nelson
                          www.Hobby-Machinist.com

                          Comment

                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X