Looking to move from Dedicated Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to move from Dedicated Server

I'm currently on a dedicated server. But our needs have changed and am thinking of moving back to a standard hosting account.

I've not looked at web hosts in years. Who can handle large vBulletin sites and keep good performance?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    PowWows.com

Originally posted by pgowder View Post
    I'm currently on a dedicated server. But our needs have changed and am thinking of moving back to a standard hosting account.

I've not looked at web hosts in years. Who can handle large vBulletin sites and keep good performance?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Large sites on a shared server?
    I don't know. I have a medium site and struggled on a VPS.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

What do you consider a medium site?
      PowWows.com

Comment

"vps" is a dubious term, it means a lot of things to a lot of different people. For less 5 dollars a month you can get a "vps" that offers all of 600mhz cpu and 256mb of ram. Each company sets up their own VPS terms.

PowWows, what is your budget and what sort of traffic / post per day / users online are you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
          "vps" is a dubious term, it means a lot of things to a lot of different people. For less 5 dollars a month you can get a "vps" that offers all of 600mhz cpu and 256mb of ram. Each company sets up their own VPS terms.

PowWows, what is your budget and what sort of traffic / post per day / users online are you looking at?
          I'd like to be under $250/month.

With all our sites about 3-5k unique visitors per day average. We do have some peak times where we go over that. But that's average.
          PowWows.com

Comment

I personally use ASmallOrange's cloud hosting platform. You might want to take a look at what they offer.
            Otherwise check out webhostingtalk.com

Comment

What do you consider a medium site?
              Just checked. I'm 1200-1300 visits a day.
              I'd like to be under $250/month.
              I've been very pleased with http://realwebhost.net
              I have 1 dedicated, 1 VPS and 1 shared account with them going back since 5/2005.
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

www.urljet.com is best

Comment

Any one used Peer One?
                  PowWows.com

Comment

So did you ever move to a new company, if so which one?

Comment

I'm looking at Peer One. Anyone used them?
                      PowWows.com

Comment

Since you have a good budget, URLJet would be a good choice. Talk to them and they should be able to suggest you a good package.
                        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

Why does everyone keep suggesting urljet, you are a complete fool if you get hosted there, they charge 10-100x more then actual prices of servers and they don't even tweak/optimize there servers like they say they do, you pay higher price because you think your getting better, except it's labeled something it's not.

Example

$1,495
                          2x Xeon Nehalem X5550
                          16GB DDR3 ECC Memory
                          8x 2.66ghz processors
                          4x73GB 15,000 RPM Drives
                          That server would cost no more then $800 a month MAX, that means they are almost 50% overpriced.

DELL PowerEdge 860
                          Dual Core/4GB RAM
                          2x250GB SATA Drives

That server would cost more then $100 a month, yet they are charging $200 more a month.

Recommend them now.

Comment

I'm looking at Peer One. Anyone used them?
                            http://www.web-hosting-top.com/reviews.add/peer1.com

There is some on there, google pulled up alot of reviews, there is some good reviews and really bad one's.

Comment

I noticed they have had several power outages 2 each year in the past since 2009 not sure exactly why but that's a reason to really think about things.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X