Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult is it to move away from godaddy shared hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult is it to move away from godaddy shared hosting?

I'm brand spanking new to this. Just bought my vb4 license yesterday. I have an existing G4H Deluxe hosting account with Godaddy (fancy name for their crappy "grid" hosting). I KNOW this is not going to work long term. I just figured since I already have it, maybe I can get away with it for a little while and I'll switch when it becomes a problem. When the time comes to move I'll most likely go to urljet or servint.

My concern is this. As some of you may know, Godaddy doesn't provide a normal cPanel. They do however let you do backups of your mysql db. It just pops into a directory on the server that you can access via ftp.

Is this backup file along with all the other files you can access with them via ftp sufficient to move a functioning site?

I just don't want to get everything configured the way I want it and get a handful of regular members then basically start all over again or end up doing a mountain of work when it comes time to move.

Thanks for any insight!

Yes it is. Database Backup + Files = Your site As long as you can get the database backed up to your directory(phpMyAdmin not the right tool for bigger database backups/restore), moving is not hard.
    Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

Databases are limited to 1GB at godaddy so size won't be a problem. You have two options for managing them. PHPMyAdmin is one but to make a backup it's easier to just use the godaddy web interface.

Thanks!

Comment

Dumper script can be used. And better idea is to hire professional to do move.
        vBulletin Services | Полтава форум | Poltava Forum

Comment

It is not to bad to move from their services. Like the others said files and database and recreate your email accounts and you should be good to go.
          HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
          Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

Very easy! Have moved from Godday over to VPS for two of my forums! I used MySQLDumper for the moves (backup at Godaddy and then restore at the new host) and of course I also use MySQLDumper for regular backups of my forum DBs.

http://www.mysqldumper.net/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X