Easy Question for the Guru's..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Question for the Guru's..

I'm getting ready to make a forum move. My site has 1000+ members, 65,000 posts, and usually 20-30 members/guests on at one time. My question, is how much "bandwidth" does this use, "about"? I'm on a shared GoDaddy plan, have been since the start. We're getting ready to move the site to URLJet and all the research I've done Hosts list bandwidth in Gig's..where as mine just says "unlimited"....?

Does bandwidth mean like how much traffic is going to your forum every month? Day?

Can someone just kinda break it down in English for me a little..

Members: 1,020
    Threads: 6,195
    Just looked...

That's pretty hard to guess. I know my site uses between 5GB and 10GB a day. But, I have a tracker on my site and about 200-300 users on at a time. So, there is one data point.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      That's pretty hard to guess. I know my site uses between 5GB and 10GB a day. But, I have a tracker on my site and about 200-300 users on at a time. So, there is one data point.
      1st question which server you using?
      2nd. my forum status is:
      i am currently using offshare hosting.
      members:1.30,000
      online: 150 (average)
      Bandwidth: 2GB/day
      alexa rank: 1,20,000

now suggest me which is the best server for me? Basically do i need shared hosting or Dedicated?

Comment

Bandwidth is the amount of data your website/hosting account may "consume" (generally on a monthly basis).
        This mostly includes the data being sent and received from your website's visitors and the data your send or download then your are uploading eg. a vBulletin patch.

Depending on how "active" your active members are, I think 512 MB to 1536 MB is your daily usage.
        This is merely and estimation, but yea..

Originally posted by neoearnmoney View Post
        1st question which server you using?
        2nd. my forum status is:
        i am currently using offshare hosting.
        members:1.30,000
        online: 150 (average)
        Bandwidth: 2GB/day
        alexa rank: 1,20,000

now suggest me which is the best server for me? Basically do i need shared hosting or Dedicated?
        It depends, are you close to the monthly bandwidth cap? close to the HDD cap? close to the email /hour cap?

Generally I would monitor the monthly usage (e-mails /hour, avg. bandwidth /day and (if you can) CPU/RAM usage.

when you know how much your community is using, it's easier to see if the current web host is not working out for your, and which hosting package or vps/dedicated server your should go with.
        Last edited by Eliasen; Wed 6th Jul '11, 2:29am.

Comment

In your hosting control panel, there should be some area which shows your bandwidth usage. Godaddy uses custom control panel, so I can't tell you where exactly to look. Anyway, this is one basic information any hosting control panel should provide.

It is hard to make an assumption as the bandwidth could depend a lot on a number of factors - whether there is lot of attachments, what kind of signatures you allow, how heavy / optimized your site design is etc.

20-30 users online is not much traffic and you should be able to fit into most shared hosting accounts. Your monthly traffic should not be more than 10 GB - 20GB, to give a rough estimate.
          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X